The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1507 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/24/08
Very funny story. Have to wonder if its true:) Good writing!
04/24/08
This was a nice light-hearted piece that was well-written. I loved the descriptions. The cheetos hiding in the beard, the locked fridge. There is truly people out there like this, as my husband works in this field. And you captured the truth - each one needs Jesus.
04/24/08
You definitely captured the ways of the mentally ill. Very good descriptions and characterizations in this story. I think this is well written and well crafted. I like the MC's attempt at keeping her uncle on track-there's a poignant, bittersweet tone to this story that gives it a nice touch.
04/24/08
I suppose Elvis and Jimmy Hoffa could be used as a path to Jesus, why not?

Your story and writing style is delightful.
This is a great story. It had me laughing out loud. You were able to make me visualising Uncle Lenny with his eccentric ideas and I could see him darting around his apartment. Well done, very well done.
Excellent job with both atmosphere and characterization. You strike a good balance between humor and the family's desire to see the uncle's salvation.
04/28/08
Hey, I only use butter too, cause I'd rather clog my arteries with fat than with plastic! (But I haven't chained the fridge yet—though I should.) Great story. Your MC came to life.
04/28/08
You're in Beginner's? Unbelievable!

Great story told with just the right flare.
04/28/08
I really like this! I'd thought about writing about a mentally ill aunt or uncle, but I wasn't sure I'd be able to capture the illness well enough. You did a great job here.
04/28/08
You did an excellent job with descriptions--sight, smell, feel. (Did he really say 'mucous colored paint"? ewwww). That level of mental illness is such a black hole for the person and for the family. Sad.
04/28/08
One of my absolute favorites! Awesome!
04/28/08
You did such a great job setting the scene with your descriptions, this one just might send you up a level.
This has it all! This is very good writing. Descriptions are excellent, your message is clear. The uncle is a sad case, but still you get your reader to chuckle. I truly hope this places.
04/28/08
Josh, this was great! Very colorful, very descriptive, very well done! I really enjoyed reading this one and hope you enjoyed writing it! Good job! :)
04/28/08
Joshua, this has to be the best you've ever written. The detail had me right in the crazy uncle's apartment. This could easily have been in advanced or masters even. Great job!
04/28/08
This was a very enjoyable read. Great characters and descriptions. Well done!
I love a good conspiracy and this was no disappointment.
You may have found your niche, keep it up.
Once I got past the "mucous" and "losing their lunch" stuff I really enjoyed the characterization you pictured. Good job.
You never know, Uncle Lenny just might be onto something! However, I do hope Elvis can lead him to Jesus. All kidding aside, this was a fun, fun, will-written read.
04/29/08
This is really good. It's written very well, and you captured the uncle's personality perfectly. I had a mental picture of him the whole time I was reading. Great job with the topic.
04/29/08
Oh, this must have been a COMPLETE blast to write. I giggled in every paragraph, and guffawed several times. Your descriptions are classic and wonderful Too much fun!
Very well done! I don't think you're going to be a "beginner" for long.
04/29/08
This is really good - I agree - you won't be in beginners for long.
04/29/08
Ok, Josh...you had me form beginning to end, grinning at the excellent discriptions and characterizations. Very well done. Yes indeedy.
04/30/08
Remind me never to get that paint color you described in your first paragraph. :) "JimmyHoffaLives" What a password! Ha! Your title is perfect for this… this would make a great movie. :) This is so funny!
04/30/08
Cute story. The line 'because she thoroughly scanned it for tracking devices' cracked me up big time. Well done.
Heehee, what a conspiracy! You did well crafting the character of Uncle Lenny. I liked the ending, very fun. ^_^
04/30/08
What a hoot! A fun, yet sad one. It's sad that there are truly people lkke that--but I'm glad there are others to look out for them. Great job, Josh--you did really well! :)
05/01/08
Very good piece. Excellent descriptions and the story definitely held my attention to the end. Nice work Josh.
A fun way to still get across an important message - EVERYONE needs Jesus - even the mentally ill. I've worked with mentally ill folks that live in their own world, but still love Jesus as best as they can. Let's not forget to share the gospel with them!
Woohoo Josh!!!! Move on up to level 2. Great, awesome, excellent job!
05/01/08
Way to go, Josh!!! Congratulations!
05/01/08
Congratulations, Josh! Well done!
Congrats! It's up to level 2 for you, right? ^_^ Great writing!
05/01/08
Josh, this is great! Congratulations on a strong win!!
05/01/08
Josh -- Super congrats for 1st place with this!!!!
05/01/08
Funny story and good descriptions.
Congrats on placing 1st! It was well deserved.
05/01/08
Congratulations Joshua excellent writing skills - Easy to read and I really enjoy and had a good laugh too. Great writing and good luck.
Congratulations, Josh! I'm so excited for you! This win was eminently earned!
05/01/08
Congratulations!! This was one of my favorites so I am glad you won.
Joshua, congratulations with placing with the tender, empathetic story. Your win is well deserved and now you get to move up where I know you will do well, too. You've got the heart and talent of a writer, so keep just doing that, writing. Loren
05/01/08
I would like to chime in with my hearty CONGRATULATIONS for an extremely well-crafted story with the perfect balance of humor and pathos! This definitely deserved to win!
05/01/08
Congrats on your win!!!! Absolutely marvelous, Josh. Perfectly told story mixed with humor and compassion. Loved the realism of it. We don't always understand mental illness and this was presented with excellent insight. A very skillfully written piece and expressively done. The title is definitely appropriate! Thanx for sharing - it's already one of my favorites :)
05/01/08
Congratulations on your 1st place. I'm so glad to see this story placed--it was one of my favorites. Nice job.
YAAAAAAY!!!! Joshua, you did it my friend, you did it!!! Up, up, up the ladder you go. I am so proud of you!
FAN-TASTIC! Way to go Josh. This is an excellent piece of writing. I loved it! (Especially the end.) Congrats!