The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1808 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/25/08
This is absolutely wonderful, from the first paragraph to the very last. I hope it's a winner in the contest, because it sure is in my book.
04/25/08
Your opening paragraph made me smile. I don't think I should have read this before dinner. :) Your "studied that pie like two opponents contemplating a difficult move on a chessboard" was great. Your descriptions of making this pie are perfect. I love your story and your author's note lesson was very interesting/informative. I'd never heard about the "under no circumstances should you ever add green food coloring", before. I promise you I never will.
04/25/08
I love the beginning, the end — and everything in between. I've never tried making key lime pie, but you sure had my mouth watering. Very well done.
04/25/08
A good "slice" of life in a shorty story :)

Makes me want to get some Key Lime Pie tonight.
04/25/08
Nice story. I enjoyed it:)
Laury
04/26/08
Very good, extremely well written. A don't even like key lime pie, but I'm ready for a slice. Perfect ending. I like the aunt's simple warning, “Get away from that pie.” - I heard that exact phrase several times growing up, so I know the tone that accompanied those words.
04/26/08
Oooooh...you made me hungry! Beautiful descriptions of the pie and the people. Great writing.
"Some recipes are a symphony with full orchestra; others, a choral cantata. Key Lime Pie is a song played with a few simple instruments: a creamy, sweet melody harmonized by its tart counterpoint."

I loved the word usage in the above lines. Actually, you have several parts with great descriptions and wording like this.

I loved the ending where the nieces weren't so sure about the man until he offered them some of the pie that they craved.

Oh and by the way, key lime is one of my favorite pies! Judging by your bit of info at the end, I must not be eating the authentic stuff, because mine is always colored green. :)

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful story. It made my mouth water.
04/28/08
I really enjoyed the way that you weaved all the elements of the story, including romance, against the character focusing on the pie. And the conclusion was hilarious.
04/28/08
You were right, it shouldn't have been read on an empty stomach. I am heading for the kitchen. My mouth watered, and I totally enjoyed the story.
04/29/08
Okay, this one takes the cake! Er...it takes the pie. Definitely in my top few for this week. And also, if I send you my address, will you please send me a pie?
Oh I think he is going to steal their aunt too! Wonderful, your stories are always a treat. ;)
Superb story from beginning to end! I love your comparisons to chess moves and especially orchestra music.
04/30/08
Ooooh...Key Lime pie is my all-time favorite pie in the whole wide world! I love this story, therefore, and suffered through all the mouth-watering ingredients and instructions for making it. I love the thought of the fresh juice being squeezed...it smells so good...and...that wonderful taste!...so sunshiny and...uh...yeah-that's right...there's a story here, too. Your characters are friendly and sweet with just the right amount of tart-just like a Key Lime pie...with that nice, graham cracker crust...oh, phooey.
The only thing missing is the recicpe : ) What a great story and I couldn't help but wonder its final conclusion.
05/01/08
This was fabulous from start to finish. LOVED the opening line! Awesome writing!
Yum! I wanted a piece of that scrumptious pie too! I liked the ending where he offered them a slice and they decided that he had potential. That was cute-especially from the girls' POV! Congrats on your EC! ^_^
05/01/08
Karen -- Congrats on your EC!!
05/01/08
Well, I think you know I loved this story! Congrats on your EC!!
05/01/08
Congratulations on your EC, Karen. This story is absolutely wonderful. (I can't believe I missed it this week.) I love the way you compare pie baking to music. And my mouth is watering now. Great job with the topic.
05/02/08
Oh my! You gave me such a chuckle at the end. :) Lovely descriptions and great writing.
05/02/08
I knew this would be good from the first line. Congrats! Great story.
Ha! Cute story with a perfect ending. Congratulations on your EC!