The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1007 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
What a shame Grandpa had to wait so have a tender job and accept Jesus. You did an excellent character study here, showing the "robber" that shows up in our old age.
This story is a nice switch from the depressing side of alzheimers. I like your positive attitude. Interesting perspective.
09/08/07
I absolutely LOVE this perspective, as well as everything else about this piece. I don't know what else to say, except "Wow." Just know I was touched and moved.
I love this:
"It was like a dam broke in his mind and he forgot to be so guarded, forgot he needed to work so hard at protecting himself from the world..."
Superbly crafted, packed with sensitivity, depth, and true joy. I'm blown away!
09/09/07
What a different take on the usual story of dementia. It really grabbed my attention, and I like the emphasis on him being, in some ways, better as a person because of his illness. Good story!
09/09/07
I just had to say, thank you. This took my breath away, especially with the innocence and joy of young Imogene. Youth always see things differently than we 'smarter' ones.
Sad, but enlightening story. I've never had anyone in our family with this problem.