The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1671 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/30/09
Just Brilliant! This is one that transports the reader to another time and place and makes them so glad for the journey. Superb writing.

Mona
04/30/09
I agree...this piece transports to another time and place. Wonderful job with that. One nit-pick: I got tripped up a few times with the change in tense. The story went from past to present several times. I think it would have been stronger if it was written completely in the present tense. Those parts worked better for me. Otherwise, superb. :-)
05/02/09
Deliciously atmospheric. I could almost feel the hot sun beating down.
05/02/09
I felt like I was walking alongside Sophie and her mama. Your word-pictures made this a wonderfully enjoyable story. Your message is clear--there's more to life than money--thanks.
05/03/09
Vivid and lovely. Well done!
05/04/09
Your wonderful descriptions and dialogue create a time and place that makes one long to be there. And I agree about the work-worn hands being a true symbol of love and devotion.
05/04/09
Just LOVE it!
Gorgeous, gorgeous writing.
Your imagery is absolutely lovely, the dialogue very realistic, and the message excellent. A keeper.
05/06/09
I saw it all as I read. Great writing that drew me right in and I loved the dialogue.
I missed this one the first time around, but I'm glad I read it. It's wonderful, with an authentic and powerful voice. Love the mood it sets. Very well done, and congratulations!
05/07/09
Well, Loren. I guess I am just going to have to read everything you've ever written. :D

Awesome! Awesome!

Huge Congrats to you!
05/07/09
Loren, my friend, this piece reads as smooth and rich as butter!! :) WOW! I LOVED it!! CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR EC!!
Love the regionalism flavor and the tone is so endearing. Nice work! :)
05/07/09
I like the strong message you send about, not just acceptance of where God has you, but the enjoyment of being in that place as well. Congratulations on a well-deserved win. The dialogue alone was incredible.
Congratulations on placing with this really lovely piece. It is publishing worthy, to be sure.
05/07/09
I love the vivid description and all the deep emotion conveyed through this simple conversation. Beautiful writing! Congratulations!!
05/08/09
As another commenter said, you transport the reader to another time and place, and I think we fall in love with it. I for one, wanted to stay and eat some of those blackberries myself. :-) Wonderful story, and such a deserving EC pick! Congratulations!
05/08/09
I loved this story and am so glad it placed high in the EC ratings. Congrats.