The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1839 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
11/21/08
Oh my! I know who wrote this for sure and certain -- LOL! Love it. Love Tom. What a guy. And the impatient son, that could be mine for sure. Very good story.
The dialog between mom and son is spot-on. I can hear my daughter saying “Mom, stop trying to talk teen, okay?". :) I would have liked a few more descriptions, but I really enjoyed the story.
11/22/08
Wonderful contrasts here:
A quaint "throw back" 1960s Christmas store and a modern texting device; a patient giver and a very impatient football teen; a store full of everything for sale and a free gift. Ultimately, God speaks to Mom's heart in the midst of the hurried contrasts through the music, and culminates in the last line: “I dunno, Jacob, but I’m gonna find out.” God works for the treasure of a soul in His mysterious Way!
11/23/08
Good story. That's my favorite Christmas carol.
11/25/08
BEEEEautiful! Excellent dialogue - the banter is SO realistic (gee - I wonder why? LOL). Love the ending especially.
11/27/08
Congratulations on your second place in EC! The contrasts in this story made it so real to me, and more interesting. You kept us wondering how it would end, and you delivered a great punch. If she hadn't heard the song, she will have it emblazoned on her heart now and really hear its message. WOW... loved this!
Loved where the mom was trying to talk teen. The "Allz I'm sayin iz" line told me that this was Laura. LOL.

In addition to the humor, you also injected a lot of emotion into this piece that moves the reader. I don't know what else to say. It's very engaging and worth of its 2nd place win. :)
Congratulations LauraLee on a very deserved win. Your story is well written and very touching. Blessings, Angel
11/27/08
Fantastic mood of this piece, great dialogu AND it had me laughing and then "awwwing" within a breath. Thanks for this entry.... teaches me a lot.
11/28/08
Great story! Loved the dialogue and the text messaging. Congratulations!
11/29/08
Congratulations, Laura. Love the dialogue here, so convincing and authentic. The descriptions of the olden style store put me right there.
Congratulations, Laura! This is very good. I like the irony you've included, and of course, the spot-on teen.
Laura, it is so good to see you placing with this well written submission. Your writing just keeps getting better and better. Congratulations! Loren
I didn't see that coming and I laughed out loud! Mark Lowery and Buddy Green wrote "Mary Did You Know?" in 1991 but it was a little while later that it became immensely popular. What a scream! This was such a deserved win! Congratulations!