The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1810 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
08/01/08
Ahhh...sometimes we forget our priorities, don't we? I liked all the dialogue. They sounded like real brothers and sisters.
Thank you for writing this.
08/01/08
Ahhh...sometimes we forget our priorities, don't we? I liked all the dialogue. They sounded like real brothers and sisters.
Thank you for writing this.
Thanks for a well-put-together piece of real life. Good job.
08/04/08
I could see myself there, reacting the same ways, both refusing to hear them, and then realizing what was more important.

Good job!
08/04/08
Ok, I LOVE the door sign, lol. Very realistic dialogue, and a wonderfully enjoyable (and convicting)piece.
08/04/08
I could relate to the mom's frustration--all the details like the pen going over the shoulder "pling", the rising tone of voice. Pretty realistic stuff. :-D Excellent.
08/04/08
Well done, so realistic I could feel my frustration rising with hers.
08/04/08
Oh wow! This gave me chills! What a lesson! I am sure this will be a wake-up call to all and any who put ANYTHING, but God before their family...I felt sorry for this young mother. I almost thought you might have been talking about someone I know, right in our family. She tries to work from home, but now I think she is realizing that her family must come first. (The children were all the right ages, too, for it to have been about my relative.)..Helen
This is so good and I am so green with envy! You write with such realism that you scare me, something every good writer wants to do. I think this is one of your better entries so don't be surprised if you place high.
Very good job! Kudos!
First of all, what a great title -simple as it is. The entire story is very believable and flows seamlessly. I think every mom has been there!
08/05/08
Understand the sentiments described in your story. Working from home tend to offer too many distractions, and not doing what one is supposed to do sometimes get to the person, leaving him or her guilty at times. On certain occasions, however, I think the wasted time to regroup and concentrate may be better spent on answering the requests of people in need, which in fact helps one to perform better and faster after the matter has been settled. Thank you for sharing this story. You have captured the feelings of the characters and the readers very well.
I enjoyed reading your piece!
Very enjoyable writing style and a subject a lot of mothers can relate. Great ending, too.
This is the kind of stuff I really enjoy reading. You've taken a slice of life and made it entertaining. Good message, too. Well done.
Your writing style drew me in and held me. I was ready for the mc to get up and go to the door and was glad she realized her priorities in time.
You have such a great talent for taking the common place and giving it a punch that delivers a meaningful message. Congratulations, Linda, on your placement.
Loren
08/08/08
Too realistic...I can tell you've been there, as I have. But I have no door to close and... You just captured this too well. :-) What a great job and a well deserved EC win!
08/08/08
Congrats on the EC. I realy enjoy good writing about simple subject matter that we can all relate to, and this did it perfectly. You'll probably make a lot of parents take a break from their computer/work/busy schedule after reading this, and that's a good thing. Nice job.
08/08/08
Congrats on your EC award. This story hit home to me and many readers, I'm sure. Thanks for a message we all need to hear again, and again.