The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2053 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Ah, the power of music. It always seems to touch just the right heartstrings - whether in actuality or on paper.
Thanks for sharing.

God bless,

Kevin
09/02/06
Very good story loaded with interesting detail. I liked this quote especially: "Bach gave us God’s Word. Mozart gave us God’s Laughter. Beethoven gave us God’s Fire. God gave us music that we might pray without words.”
09/03/06
Ah...without music I wouldn't have made it through life; at least that's what I think. Great story, and although I do not like opera, the story struck a chord. Great job.
09/03/06
Liked the pray without words quote. Actually, liked the whole story. Good detail.
09/04/06
Oh, this is special. In my favorites it goes, along with my other keepsakes. Thank you for a beautiful story with believable characters.
09/04/06
The title was intriguing. The story didn't disappoint. I liked the way that you transported us to different times eras so well within just a short story- classic composers, the teacher's past days of glory, the student in the past as well as present. Showed well how music transcends time and language and can touch our spirit when we really listen. The great quote used reminds us that God is the creator of music - we can only be partial reflections of His creativity. Great story.
09/05/06
I am a great opera lover, so what a treat to read your story! (And Madame Butterfly is one of my favs). I LOVE your line about music being a way to pray without words. This will stick with me. Very creative - great job!
Love the title. :)

This was full of details that created layers of believability. As others have already said, I also loved the quote. Had to laugh at the name Suzuki though. Reminded me of the car company. lol Still a great piece though.
I love this! Your use of dialog is excellent. I can learn a lot from your example. Thank you!
09/05/06
I with the others love the quote. Most of all, as a music lover I was struck about music being prayer without words. As always you do an incredible job with such few words, using your great dialog skills. Wonderful job!
09/05/06
Author's note -now that the hinting all clear has been given -I totally forgot to note that the quote about music and praying without words is an anonymous quote.

I discovered it in college in a music gift catalog as a poster. It had said that it was found in an opera house in Europe somewhere, author unknown. I've always loved it, I even did a cross-stitch version of it, with real music stitched into the background.

Thanks to all for the comments :)
09/05/06
Good job, Shari. I enjoyed this very much.
09/05/06
Absolutely lovely, I could hear Madam Butterfly in the background as I read. This was a very aural piece, and beautifully written.
09/05/06
I love that aria, though I could never sing it! You reminded me of my voice lessons in college and long for those days again. Nicely done.
09/05/06
This is lovely, Shari! So atmospheric. Thank you for sharing the power of music - this really touched me!
09/06/06
How lovely! Your descriptions reminded me of my many years of piano lessons. I love your title. (Cute musical take on: The Old Man and the Sea) Thanks!
09/06/06
Wonderful piece, Shari! It was a very smooth read, packed with info and entertaining too. Well done!
Very well written. Great dialogue. I enjoyed this.
09/07/06
I love the anonymous quote! Not that it is a comment on your writing, but I bet the cross stitch was magnificent! The writing here is excellent too.
09/07/06
Nice job. A DAVEY for you!