The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1423 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/14/08
This sounds like a piece out of a novel.

I don't see it tying in with the topic, but it is very well-written. And sad indeed.
02/15/08
This is exceptional writing, masterful, in fact. You have captured the essence of obsession in general, and a writer's specific compulsion in particular (I breathed a sigh of relief that it was a typewritten page and salvageable rather than a deleted computer page!).
I do see a subtle tie-in with the WC topic. The wife walking out on her dream after trying and trying to recover what she's lost does it for me.
02/16/08
While the story gave me a feeling of sadness, the writing was compelling. I can see spilled milk in there somewhere!
02/17/08
Sure hope this is not a true account. I see the tie-in with the topic, albeit small, or it could be big depends on how the reader interprets it. Good writing overall.
Very, very sad, but well-written.
I saw the tie in as "crying" over the ruined page by abusing his own son. The page could easily be re-typed, but the relationships may never be healed.
02/18/08
Wow! Brillianly written! A master of the typewriter for sure, and a master of wordsmithing with no doubt!!
Interesting, entertaining, and a page turner from the very beginning to the end! Of course, your Comments are coming from writers - so hits us like a ton of bricks! Great spoof! Or was it...who knows? But nevertheless...I loved it! Pure magic! Kudos!
02/18/08
Oh, what a dreadful thing. You captured his idolatry for words so well without using too much description. That's good writing!
02/18/08
This is absolutely frightening and captivating and haunting. Incredibly portrayed, Paula. Wow.
This story made me want to take time off to go do something with family. You did a great job telling this story. It was very sobering for this writer. Well done.
Paula, you have captured in words what I never want to become.

Your ability to bend words to your will is amazing. I loved "I’ve seen him celebrate with champagne after his mind finally gave birth to his children of prose."
His life is not only spilt but spoiled milk. His wife had a choice-stay with the smell or move on.
02/19/08
Your writing is brilliant--yes, you may have skirted the topic a bit, but this is crafted beautifully. I loved it.
02/19/08
Compelling writing. The link with the theme might be obscure, but considering the excellence of the story, not worth worrying about.