The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1442 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
06/17/10
Your story held my interest and made me want to read more. Is this an excerpt from your new book? It sounds like a great plot. Good job!
This was a delight to read. I found myself crossing my fingers for the MC.

A tiny error in the beginning confused me for a bit. You said accept but I think you meant except.

I so enjoyed how you reminded people that it wasn't that long ago that women did need a pseudonym to be taken seriously. And it's still true in other parts of the world. Great use of the topic.
What an entertaining story! I want to cheer for Matthew and Nita. :)
I do hope you are writing historical fiction, because this piece definitely showed off your natural flair for this genre! Terrific job!
06/21/10
Oh, so men are not the only ones finding it difficult to get into print.

Interesting piece! Thanks - Colin.
I really liked this story. The characters came across as very real. Is there more to come? Also, I looked up the word accept it seems to be correct for the situation. The word in my dictionary has five definitions. One which states "to receive with liking or approval." I did notice that the name Esther was spelled Ester. An Ester is a compound produced by the reaction of an acid and an alcohol. Esther is the Jewish maiden who married the Persian king in the Old Testament. Keep writing.
I really like your mc--more to come?
Interesting and well written. I wanted to know what the crisis was, since it seemed to divide the loyalties within the community as opposed to dealing with an outside force.
06/21/10
Your hook was SUPERB. I HAD to keep reading until I figured out what he couldn't do - and by then I was totally engaged. Wonderful writing. Hope we hear more from these characters.
06/23/10
Great writing, loved the message here. I don't see this as history, unfortunately. Women still have a long way to go in many areas of life. Thanks for bringing this subject to light.
06/24/10
Good point--I think women were accepted as novelists and poets long before they were accepted as commentators on political issues. I enjoyed this story and found the characters very intriguing. Well done!
06/24/10
LOVE it! Great setting, and I liked how Matthew came through for his sister and printed her name even if his strict boss didn't agree.

Congrats on getting highly commended! I was excited to see your name back at the top. ;)