The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1155 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
An excellent illustration of the proverb. Very well done in showing his thoughts of love for his wife, but how he was "too busy" to express them...and the pain this misunderstanding caused her. A powerful reminder we would all do well to heed.
This is a poignant story that is played out so many times in so many homes. This story is on topic, as well as pointing out that something good comes out of even the worst catastrophies.
03/15/08
This is a cleanly written story with good transitions. I was right there with the characters, especially when the bad news came. Great work.
03/16/08
Wow! You have great descriptions in this story. Very thought provoking. A must read for workaholics.
Laury
03/16/08
Great story, it kept me waiting for something dreadful to happen to Cindi and Allie.So glad this one has a happy ending for at least one family.
03/16/08
Superbly written...wonderful "showing, not telling."

My only nitpick would be that the "too busy husband" is a bit of an archetype, and once he was established, there was really only one way this could go.

You really did a great job of putting us into his head. One of the best stories on this level.
03/16/08
Nicely done. If you want to get more points for your opening, see if you can grab us so that we don't let go. For example: Steven walked through the front door after a long, hard day at work could become: Steve let his keys slide out of his tired hand onto the hall table. That way we can see things happening and draw conclusions rather than be told what is happening.
Well written. Good job. :)
Good take on the topic. Well done.
03/17/08
Good story and no question it was definetely on topic..
Thanks for sharing
03/17/08
An excellent message told very poignantly. Great detail.
This story covered the topic perfectly. I know of a lady who had a husband just like this. He practically worked himself to death, and then he realized that he needed to spend more time with his family.

A good reminder for all of us to make sure that we let the ones we love know it everyday.

Great writing. Thank you for sharing.
You are a gifted story teller. Keep up the good words. I like your title very much.
Touching and sad. So many don't recognize what they have until it is gone. Nicely done.
03/19/08
This is what I said out loud at the end: Wow!
03/19/08
This was very good, and right on topic...well done.
Well told, over all.
I concur with the suggestions already made, and would add my own opinion, for what it's worth.
I think the ending would have been more powerful if you employed showing, not telling, perhaps stopping with:
"Numb, he slowly stood up and left the office to find Cindy."
If you want to go beyond that, I would suggest his apology, once he locates her.

I like how Cindy kept showing her love, even though her husband was taking her for granted.
03/19/08
Great story. I can't add much more to what's already been said. You have talent!
Oh, so sad. I liked how Cindy did keep trying, even though her husband wasn't paying any attention.

RED INK: Do you mind some red ink? If not, my only note was putting the thoughts in italics would've made it a bit easier to read. ^_^
This is excellent and brought the point home well.
Very sweet story--well-written. I enjoyed it.