The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1050 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Smiling ear to ear. Love this and anyone who has ever grown zucchini will easily identify with it. Even though I know what's going to happen, every year after planting them I find myself asking the same question: why did I just do that?
05/22/09
Sooooo clever and fun! I also haven't grown zucchini, but know people who have. Enjoyed this!
Your word choices, combined with the humor, make this a spectacular poem.
Terrific and right on the money! I learned the hard way that you DON'T plant more than one or two. lol
05/24/09
Yes - I've grown these. So true.
05/24/09
Hee-hee! Soooooo true-to-life! :D And I love your last line!

Even knowing this, today I planted 3 hills of golden and 3 of green zucchini! My mouth is watering for them grilled with garlic, as you mentioned! :)

05/24/09
Oh, I forgot to say that I loved this image:

"hose-like vines
Pumping into each squash, progressively inflated like
Balloon-man balloons to be twisted and transformed"

Great descriptions!
05/25/09
A perfect balance of Free Verse with the ease of a read. This was so enjoyable ... and so true! Just LOVED it!
05/25/09
Very very witty, and some incredibly descriptive language.
05/26/09
Yes, I love the mid-season when they start ending up on my doorstep, mailbox, in the car, at every gathering, etc.
Great take on the topic.
Mona
Now I know why my husband is always bring home zucchini from neighbors. This is creative, and love the humor.