The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 706 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/23/08
Oh dear, as a high school teacher, I've certainly known my share of Marissas--and they usually end up just her.

I was a bit shocked at the language in the first paragraph--although it's true to the character, it's problematic for your intended audience, and there are ways to suggest this kind of language without actually using it. Something to think about...

This is a good story, and well worth expanding to the full 750 words. I look forward to reading more from you.

02/23/08
If you're an American Idol fan, you'll understand the following critique: Paula would say, "The storyline was neat, I liked it"; but Simon would say "The first paragraph needs to be broken up for an easier read, and although the topic was "kinda there", but it's like beating around the bush to find it." I agree with both judges! Keep up the good work.
02/23/08
The "foul language" bothered me too a bit. It did fit her character, though - maybe I'm just sensitive to that kind of thing.

A sad, sad tale. I appreciate the hope at the end.
02/25/08
The first paragraph can be separated a little more (and without the foul language for this forum)for a smoother read. Keep writing.
02/26/08
When we make poor choices, we reap the consequences. It reads like one chapter from a book