The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1351 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
10/19/07
I love all the little character studies - I feel like I know each person. Your message is also wonderful - I love how you weave it all together.
10/21/07
What a unique approach. I love it.
10/23/07
these characters are exactly like the people that fill every church - each with their own uniqueness. Thank you. prompts me to remember...
10/24/07
I felt teary-eyed as I read this because I've known a wonderful church family like this one. I love the image of being able to say "Thanks" to them one day in Heaven. They were all so nurturing and like you, I didn't realize at the time how much they shaped my Christian world, both then and now. The characters you describe are very richly drawn. Wonderful entry!
This deserves to be read because it is so "relatable." (Is that a word?) Many of us know people like these. One teensy thing; Down, as in Down's Syndrome, should be capitalized.
This line is wonderful: "They simply faded from view when I was pursuing life and then vanished altogether,"
Well done.
Love the reminiscing. Some of the characters are people I know. I esp. like the way the next to last paragraph tied the story together.
10/24/07
Loved the folksy language and style you used to convey memories of this congregation. Especially liked this part: "They have taken the rough and tumble of a messy little thing called life and bound it together with other folks who had their own problems and called it the ˜fellowship of the saints." A most enjoyable read.
10/25/07
I love the use of memories in the making of the patch work quilt. Nice touch that definitely embodies the tone of this wonderful piece. Good job.