The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 472 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/14/16
some good thoughts here; I have a disagreement with the idea that not using our gifts will result in a "depart from me", but the general premise is good
01/14/16
God uses his people in mighty ways. While using our gifts is important, I don't believe God departs from us if we aren't.
01/15/16
I enjoyed the humor you sprinkled throughout your article. Also, your words, "our gifts were not given for our enjoyment, but for His glory. We are charged to use and develop those gifts, not let them shrivel up like unused muscles. Our decision on what to do with them will be the difference between, ‘Depart from Me,’ and ‘Well done.’"
This is very inspiring to me.
Great job.


01/19/16
This would be a great Bible study lesson! So much information to "chew" on! Good job!
01/19/16
Excellent!

God Bless~
I enjoyed your mini-sermon. I could easily picture it being preached from the pulpit. You make some interesting points that I hadn't considered before. I think it's good when an author makes the reader think.

For me the opening was a bit slow. I don't think you needed the first two lines. Instead I might start out with something like this:Many Christians relate to Jonah, the Reluctant Prophet, in one way or another. He heard the word of the Lord and steadfastly resolved to do exactly the opposite of what he was supposed to do. He hopped on a boat and raced away from God and ended up getting swallowed by a giant fish. God often goes to great lengths to get our attention.

That's just an example to show you what I mean. You still introduce the topic, but in a tighter and relatable way. I also added some humor right off because I sense you have a delightful subtle sense of humor and think you should showcase it even more. It will help infuse you in the story and makes your POV stand out from other retellings.

I also liked how you showed not only Jonah's resolution, but God's as well. I think that was a great way to emphasize the topic. You have a knack for writing devos. If you haven't submitted any to FW devotions, I'd urge you to do so. Nice job.
Congratulations on ranking 6th in your level. The highest rankings can be found on the message boards.