The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1998 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
06/07/05
Sounds like it was a powerful experience. You captured it well in words.
06/08/05
A wonderful story of your experience - very well written. This, with the pictures, should be reprinted in any number of Protestant and Catholic Magazines.
06/08/05
This is an awesome entry! Very well done! Very creative!
Outstanding writing. It felt like I was there and it sounds like a very powerful thing to witness. I'm off to look at photos. Thanks!
06/09/05
Very vivid and riveting picture of your experience. I think Dub is right about finding a mag for it. Nice job.
06/09/05
A very good description of the scene - Very vivid.
Very vivid descriptions.
06/10/05
Yes, it was a great description, reivetting. We do need our preconceived notions challenged.
06/11/05
I could picture it all. I loved your imagery - espeically of the cheap florist's bouqet so tightly packed together, and also the personification of the winds of excitement loping over the mountains. The way you kept the reader looking as a tourist (with your 35mm Konica grasped firmly in your sweaty hand) was great. In fact, everything was excellent. Sounds lifechanging. Thanks for sharing it with us.
06/11/05
Ahhh, Sally! I didn't guess that this was yours! Most excellent writing. Very good.
Loved your story. It transported me back to Madrid where I had the fortune to observe an Easter procession. Also reminded me of when I was in Rome, Italy, with a protestant woman friend who was very much against Catholic idolatory, as she termed it. I took her into a Catholic Chapel with statuary and masterpiece paintings and was surprised to see she was moved to tears. Amazing how the spirit leads!
06/11/05
Very well done. Coming from a Catholic background I can relate. Thank you for your message that not all symbolism is idolatry--it's just a visual way for some to connect spiritually. I enjoyed seeing the procession with your beautiful descriptions. :)
You caught me with your first sentence and held me throughout. This was so wonderfully worded that my imagination had me standing right beside you. I loved the words that indicated how closely the crowd was packed and the description of the mothers who chose to walk barefooted behind the statue of Mary. Wow!
06/11/05
You bridged the gap between two "religions" in a beautiful way. Wonderful writing, as always. I also wouldn't have guessed this was yours. Way to stretch yourself.
Blessings, Lynda
06/11/05
You made me want to be there! I would love to experience one of the many ways people worship around our world. Every culture has a dimension to contribute to the worship of the God of all creation. Loved it!
06/13/05
This is powerful and extremely well done. Your descriptions are perfect. Excellent writing!
Sally, this is wonderful! I've had a similar experience when our son married a Catholic girl. The ceremony and church were beautiful beyond words, both spiritually and physically .