The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1673 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
09/14/06
Ahhh...Sweet Romance and wonderful dialog. What a beautiful, beautiful story. You made me cry, smile, and reflect. Good use of the topic. Simply lovely and very well done. Blessings:)
(I say, it’s a good job the critiques don’t have word limits or I’d be a dead duck!)

You have offered us a very powerful message about realising our God given gifts. One could say that an even greater gift than her gardening skill was Maggie’s humility, not realising that she did indeed have a wonderful talent. And then we note that the word ‘humility’ derives from ‘humus’, meaning ‘soil’, and we turn full circle to find in Maggie the ‘humble humus person’, two gifts in one.
It’s a true romance, a couple falling in love over a shared interest, and you portray the process delicately, with the blushing and the nervous sipping of tea and the sparkling of eyes – lucky are we who’ve known that sensation!

So tenderly yet vividly is the romance painted that I felt the tragedy of Jim’s widowhood to be an intrusion into the story, rather than a heightening of it. After all, you’ve got a wonderful message – the humble, unconscious gift – and a terrific vehicle by which it’s revealed – their romance and Jim’s subsequent proposal. This climaxes with Jim revealing Maggie’s gift to her and her saying Yes (what a great word to end the story on). The footnote, included to refer back to the tragedy and bring healing, a worthy aim in itself of course, is an ANTIclimax to the climax of the YES. In a short story, it is best to avoid subplots.

May I proffer a couple of practical writing tips?

I remember being told it is not advisable to have characters with similar names, like Jim and Tim, even if Jim is always Rev. Jim. I once knew a RevTrev ! Anyway that’s a trivial point - by the way, Maggie is a perfect name for a gardener!).

Far more serious is your total avoidance of speech tags. On no occasion do you indicate who said what by the use of a speech tag, such as ‘said’, ‘suggested’, ‘shouted’, ‘whispered’, etc. Instead, you place an action next to a piece of direct speech and trust that we will assume that the person doing the action spoke the words. This device IS used by writers but only occasionally, for effect. Repeated throughout a story it can be quite disorientating for the reader, reading what is in effect two lists of speech and actions side by side. At one point in your story I was actually confused, and here it is:

They worked side-by-side throughout the morning.
“How about if I get some sweet iced tea?”
Now either of them could have made that suggestion, even though they are ‘on his turf’. There may be a church hall nearby or a kitchen in the church. So either of them. Only, sexist that I am, I assumed it was Maggie’s suggestion! It continues:

“How about if I get some sweet iced tea?” Smiling, his eyes sparkled with interest.
Fine, I thought, that would be MY reaction to being offered iced tea (only not sweet!). So I still assumed it was her offer. I had to do a double-take when it continued:
“Yes, please.” Blushing, she smoothed the dirt.
Hold on, I thought, HE must have offered the tea. Unless SHE offered, HE sparkled and said Yes please and then SHE blushed. The possible confusion goes on. Confusion even once is too many times.

When I first started writing, I used to be ‘said-shy’. I hated having to indicate who said what by these silly, repetitive tags. And then I took the opening chapter of a popular novel and analysed it, noting down how this famous author indicated who said what. It was a revelation. She used about 40 DIFFERENT tags, 40 different words or phrases indicating that a person had said something or was going to. Some of them many times over of course.

If I can just make one more point, another reason besides clarity why the tags are important. Flow. The tags link speech and action in a flowing motion. Otherwise the lines read like a psalm verse, which has that colon in the middle : where some people leave a long pause (I could never get the hang of how long!). Thus:

"I'd like to plant some flowers around the church." She hugged her Bible to her chest.
(Feel the hiatus there, the colon-pause, between the speech and action of Maggie?)
INSTEAD:
"I'd like to plant some flowers around the church," she said, hugging her Bible to her chest.
This flows from speech to action in a seamless movement. So the tags make sense.

Finally, finally, (and do remember I think it’s a beautiful story beautifully told – I’m only dealing with the mechanics of your vehicle here, not the journey your vehicle took us on!)

If you DO use the speech / action side by side technique (occasionally), one thing you have to make sure of is the punctuation which separates them. You wrote:

"Morning Maggie," Tim removed his cap.
"Hi Tim," she smiled up at him.

One is not allowed to join direct speech and action with a comma, as in the above examples. Instead:

"Morning Maggie!" Tim removed his cap.
"Hi Tim." She smiled up at him.

It’s only when one uses a speech tag that one can use a comma, thus:

"Morning Maggie," said Tim. He removed his cap.
"Hi Tim," she replied, smiling up at him.

Cheers, and thanks again for a touching romance, with characters that are three dimensional, real people, which is always a challenge in so few words.
09/14/06
Oh, how I love a romance! I really didn't see the outcom coming until near the end -- kept me wondering how it was going to wind up. You brought it full circle in such a tender way! Very nice story! :)
09/15/06
We often don't recognize the things that come naturally to us as gifts from God. This story was a beautiful example of humility and hope. Thanks for writing!
09/15/06
Sweet story - and right on target, topic-wise. Well done.
This was a sweet story and I enjoyed reading it. I just have two suggestions/comments.

1. The names Jim and Tim are confusing to use together in such a short piece. At first, I thought Tim's name was a typo. (I read an entry yesterday where the author forgot to switch out all of the original names when she changed a character's name, so that may have added to my confusion.)

2. During this section:

"How about I get some sweet iced tea?" Smiling, his eyes sparkled with interest.

"Yes, please." Blushing, she smoothed the dirt.

"How is it you aren't married?" Handing her the tea.

notice how each of the tags start with an 'ing'. Mix it up a little to add some interest. It could be a little change, such as: "His eyes sparkled with interest as he smiled." etc.

Other than that, this was a good read and I enjoyed how her little talent got the minister and Tim involved, as well as landing her a hubby and a baby! :)

09/20/06
So sweet! Just love these romances. I sorta figured out where this was going, but loved it just the same! A wonderful story, Rita!
I loved the story, complete with believable characters and plot in so few words.
09/20/06
Rita, Rita, Rita!! I just love to watch you grow. Okay, I can not be bested by all these long comments . . . ok, yes I can. You write so well, I can tell you were exploring with ditching all dialogue tags. (please tell me I'm right.) What better way to learn than to just jump right in! Now you know why it's very hard/difficult to eliminate "said" altogether. Notice I did not say impossible especially when you're only dealing with two people. It seems to me you so inimaely knew each character you didn't see how someone else might benefit from a she said, he said. That's where that second reader's eye comes in! ;) Oh, but I did love, love, love this story. It had the potential to be oh so sappy, but wasn't. I would have been very angry if these two did not get together!!! Hey, look, I did do a long comment. YAY me!!!
09/21/06
Everything has already been said, but it was a very sweet story. I did wonder a bit about Tim. I had an inkling he was going to be another romantic interest ... but then he disappeared. Great story.
09/21/06
A sweet lesson in humility and just doing what we do. My preference as reader and writer is for action tags. I did not get confused. yeggy
09/21/06
My goodness - how did you get such incredible critiques, Rita?! I'm simply here to say that I really really really enjoyed your entry. It was everything that I like a story to be. Well done.
09/21/06
A sweet romantic DAVEY for you!
Wonderful! I am such a sucker for romance! You paint so lovely that it felt as though I was sitting there watching it in person, on one of those benches in the middle of the garden.