The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1037 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
09/21/07
This story is delightful! I love your light style and your deft touches of humor, and I'm envious of your masterful wordsmithing. (I grew up in a very rural area of the Midwest. As Professor Higgins sings in the movie, my kinfolk "haven't spoken English for years.") Well done!
I enjoyed this piece very much. Your writing is humorous and very entertaining.
09/23/07
I love it! Very funny and written perfectly for someone who speaks only Singlesh. LOL I think you really should write a book titled, "How to speak like an American when you're not one - for dummies." Now THAT would be a best seller, I'm sure! Well done!
09/23/07
Absolutely delightful. Good writing and light humor made this a pleasure to read. I need a "how to speak like an American" book myself, give Miss Doolittle a week in the swamp and we'll fix her language. :) Welcome to the pen.
09/24/07
This story delighted me! I could relate to it, as my husband sometimes corrects my speech too (ironic since I'm the English major). The big ones for me are when I call our "bathroom sink" the "washbowl," say "put on the light," or ask, "Want to go with?" which was the way my family spoke where I grew up, in Chicago.

Great title--it drew me in, especially since My Fair Lady is one of my favorite musicals!

Great job!


Interesting account of the hazzards of learning the American language. I'm sure it is frustrating. (We Americans are not even good at it.) You pictured it well.
09/28/07
Congratulations, Angeline. Your entry has placed 8th in Level 2. The Lists for the Top 15 in each Level and the Top 40 overall are available in the Weekly Results and Highest Rankings forum of our Faithwriters Message Boards.
10/11/07
Gives me a clue on how hard it is to change countries. Thanks.