The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 314 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/10/22
Oh my goodness - what a sweet memory to carry!
02/11/22
As a train-loving kid whose Saturdays were often spent in the loco workshop during the transition from steam to diesel, I caught the smells and the grit that you've described so well.
But you've brought out a lot more than nostalgia here, in the depth of your appreciation and love for your Daddy. Quiet and constant inspiration. Well done.
I enjoyed reading your story. One line really highlights the change of heart in the country and the downside to socialism which moves us away from God and toward dependence on government. Sad.

“The men were so grateful to have any kind of job that they wanted to thank God through studying His word.”
What wonderful imagery you used in your entry. I could see, hear, and smell the train of that day, but my favorite sight was a three year old racing to jump into her daddy's arms. I cried as I remembered doing the same with my dad. Most of all, your love for your father was in every line. This article is worth first place in any writing contest.
02/16/22
A wonderful special memory.
02/17/22
I am a historian who LOVES the railroad. You captured both my heart and my imagination with this piece! Thank you!
Congratulations!