The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 609 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
08/06/16
In these days of institutional closures and community housing, it's easy to overlook the security that institutions offered to more seriously-affected residents. You have captured this sense so beautifully, and I hope the judges agree with me. Well done.
08/06/16
This story is very well done. At first, i got confused by what was going on and the sentence structure, but looking back I realized it really gave a good effect of how a mentally challenged person would think.
08/11/16
We used to live across the street from a place like this. You described it well. My dad worked there and was allowed to bring residents home with him and we would have picnics. Those are fun memories. Wonderfully written story!
08/11/16
The judges DID agree with me!!! Well done them - and well done you! God bless.
08/12/16
Like another commenter, I was confused about who Lizzy was and what exactly was happening. But when I got to the end, it all made sense. You wrote from inside the mind of the MC very well even though it wasn't first person. And it highlights such a sad truth about the times we live in. Excellent job!
08/28/16
We have the Old State Asylum in our town and it too was turned into luxury condos and upscale shops and dining. I've been there a few times and it's an eerie place indeed.
Many of the lower level shops are in the previous 'cells' where they kept the unfortunate locked behind bars that have now been removed from the window walls.
I can't imagine living within that space where the mentally ill were many times tortured.
All that to say-you captured the essence of the topic particularly well for me this week.

Congrats on your EC placing.