The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2132 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
08/06/11
Good article. Your main character had no sense of enjoyment and had shut himself out of 'life' in many ways ... but then, in the end, he enjoyed a truly happy moment. This kind of "nothing" is precious. I agree! Thank you for writing this.
08/07/11
Being aa avid nature lover and bird watcher I really enjoyed your article. But aren't we humans unfair, in England grey squirrels are vermin and can be killed but red squirrels are looked on as precious - just a colour makes all the difference.
08/07/11
I love the gradual but relentles shift in your MC's attitude: from one who might dismiss a tree as a complicated way of keeping a few million leaves off the ground; to one who is captivated by the majesty of the soaring bird.
Beautiful work.
Excellent writing with a well developed character and interesting details.
08/11/11
How wonderful this MC was kept from his cigarettes (coffin nails) and I-Pod and forced to concentrate on something besides his habits – to in the end have one of those amazing moments where the wonder of God’s creation absorbs all your senses! I sometimes think those rare moments in life when we do, just fully live in the moment, is a little taste of Heaven!
This story is so wonderfully and masterfully written, with so much vivid detail, I felt I was there! This moved me emotionally and spiritually and I thoroughly enjoyed the read!
08/11/11
Super-Duper Congratulations!
08/11/11
Congratulations on 1st place Melanie! I enjoyed your MC's cynical voice and then the lovely moment of innocent wonder. Beautiful.
08/11/11
Congratulationsn on your win, for such a well-crafted entry.