The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2247 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
12/01/06
For some reason I find myself commenting quite a bit on titles today--yours is perfect. Gripping and suspenseful story that leaves us hanging...but there's that title. Awesome.
12/02/06
they are true volunteers...even those that are paid! thanks for making us think of them, today.
12/02/06
What a story! The tale is left hangin with just a glimmer of hope. Great job.
12/03/06
This was so real, so vivid - as a former Californian, this brought back some memories I haven't thought about in a while. Excellent ending too - and so gripping through and through.
12/04/06
in a word... Masterful.
Oh, it's so like you to leave us dangling like that! As always, powerful story. Your images are superb.
12/04/06
Your title is perfect for this story. The reader wants to ask what happened? But that isn't the story. A very well crafted entry, as always, that hammers the messgae home about the motive of a true volunteer and what most of them, cut from this mold, represent. God bless.
12/04/06
Maxx, you sitting behind me doesn't help one bit - it never does! Can't you submit near the top sometimes? ;)

Yes it's gripping and I didn't get to breath at all - even at the end, so I about keeled over from lack of oxygen. A normal hazard of reading your work. ;)
I've been through hurricanes, but never an earthquake. After reading your entry, I think I prefer hurricanes! Incredible description. Wonderful way to write about this topic. Superb. Blessings, Cheri
Excellent use of the present tense!
12/05/06
Wow. You can really tell a story. Mesmerizing. An excellent read. Thanks for sharing it.
12/06/06
“You don’t have to. I volunteer.” That phrase sums everything up...wow...amazing.
Yes, it is possible to write a significant, meaningful story in 450 words, when written by your hand. This is truly awesome.
12/07/06
Very powerful. Thank you for sharing in a way that only you can.
I'll add my name to the list of "well-dones". 450 words, when precisely chosen as you did, tell the story very concisely. By your description I truly hope I never experience an earthquake firsthand.
Blessings on your pen.
Congrats Maxx! This is terrific, as usual. A great read.
12/09/06
COngratulations on yet another win, Maxx. Amazing piece - totally gripping. And those descriptions! I've never lived through an earthquake but you've convinced me that you have.