The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1111 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
08/09/12
Oh, this is so moving and so accurately describes nursing home dining...the lack of anticipation or joy etched on so many faces, as they stare at the food on the table before them. A powerful backdrop, as you then contrast it with the “anticipation” and “joy” given from feeding on God’s word. You brought great visual impact, great message, great job!

08/10/12
You have really pulled me into this elderly person's world. I can easily feel what is being re-lived as the MC regards the meal before her on that institutional dining table. It is a place where she may or may not have a choice between two meals, prepared in an institutional kitche and not in her own. She knows what food can taste like if it comes from her own kitchen and from her own choice for the day but not any more. My own mother lives in the "Hilton" of retirement places but, at 90, she still just sees it as institutional food, without the proper salt and seasonings. On the other hand, she loves to go to church and feels like she's eaten well each week as she leaves the pew. You've brought this out very well in this piece. Thanks!
08/11/12
Wow! So sad and touching and absolutely excellent! It breaks my heart to read this kind of thing because it is so true and I loved the ending. Thank you so much, it is beautifully written!
08/13/12
Touching, moving, and thought provoking. So much we take for granted in life. Well written. God bless!
08/15/12
My heart aches for anyone who is forced to live in a nursing home. Thank you for finishing this on a hope-filled note. Good work.
I really liked how this started from a sad almost dark place but then ended with hope and joy.