The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1652 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
The setting and atmosphere of the story were believable. However, the dialogue got a bit hard to follow with all the phonetic spelling. It was in interesting way to lay down the background for this famous fire.
10/14/06
I thought the descriptions in this piece were fabulous. Very vivid and real! I love historical fiction. John Jakes comes to mind. Thanks, I enjoyed your writing very much!
10/16/06
I always enjoy your work Donna - it's always exceptional and this is no exception! :) I loved everything about this. Perfect!
10/17/06
You've created some memorable and very real characters--and educated me about an event I'd never heard of. Great job!
10/17/06
A well-told tale. I was definitely swept into the story and carried along. Nice job!
10/17/06
LOVE the dialogue/dialect - very realistic. It definitely added to the atmosphere of this wonderful story!
10/18/06
Wonderful descriptions and captivating story held my interest till the end. However, I had trouble with the dialogue/dialect also. I would've never guessed this story took place in Newfoundland--kept thinking it might have been the south. (sorry) Other than that I truly enjoyed learning more of this story. Brilliant writing!
10/18/06
Great narration, dialogue, characters and story line - a well presented piece.
10/19/06
You've done a good job of retelling this story and giving us a glimpse into a historically tragic event. I had trouble with the dialect as well. You asked for something to chew on, but there isn't much because your story is very well written. One suggestion would be to consider changing "shone beckoningly" to "beckoned." Well done.