The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1258 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
06/06/08
Wonderfully descriptive. This piece was a delight to read; the sounds, textures, and sights were felt in every sentence. Excellent writing.
06/07/08
Wonderfully evocative of a long past world. I particularly liked the way you used your closing paragraph to put everything in contact.
By the way I live in Mozambique where most people do their ablutions in much the same way as described in your story. Except here it’s rarely cold.
Wow. You managed to take something simple and boring like a water pump and make it exciting and fun to read about. Your descriptions are awesome.

At first I was having a struggle making a connection to this week's topic, but by the end, it all fit together nicely.

One of the better written pieces that I have read so far in intermediate this week. I appreciate you sharing.
I thought I should clarify something for the other people who read my comment above on this entry.

When I said this is one of the "better" entries this week in intermediate, I didn't mean it as though the other entries aren't as good. I just really liked this entry a lot. It stood out to me, but that doesn't mean that the other entries are poor.

I just wanted to make that clarification. :)
06/09/08
I really enjoyed how the waterpump was used to identify the difficulties of the life of the grandparents, and contrasted that with delightful memories. Masterful.
Great job - you made a simple water pump interesting! Lovely writing.
06/10/08
I lived with my grandparents until I was five years old and the water pump is one of my strongest memories....I think you should have started your story with this sentence, and then built the rest of it around the pump. To me it was a nostalgic memory--that ol'water pump. (I remember it well--or one like it.) I would like to have seen more "showing",than "telling" in this story. I am sure as you develope your writing you will learn how to do this. eg., I would have liked to have felt the mud squishing through my toes, rather than have been told that THAT is what happened. I would have liked to HEAR the kitty purr, rather than....well, I am sure you get the point. Please don't get me wrong. I enjoyed your story....Helen
06/10/08
Beautifully written and a real clinic on descriptive writing.

I really enjoyed this entry, though I'm not sure the explanation was necessarily required at the end because the pump descriotion is so genuinely effective alone.

The dovetail to topic could might have been included within the context of the story rather than as standalone.

Wonderful job! Keep 'em coming, this was a joy to read!
06/11/08
Wow! What a delightful and descriptive story you have made out of an 'ole object that moreorless might be considered a rather "ho hum...boring type" subject. You've written it so beautifully that I can picture it myself, and even hear the dragon fly, feel the mud ooze between my toes and taste the cool, cold spring water. Very nice job and a great read! Kudos!
07/26/08
That ol' water pump is life to this fmaily, like the Spirit of God is to the Christian! Excellent story.
+++
You have a God-given gift!
Check it out:
http://www.faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=84043