The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 377 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
07/20/17
Nice job with the topic!
Blessings~
07/20/17
Lively dialogue between the two, with good characterising, that's hidden within large masses of material.
Each new thought in a story needs a fresh paragraph, a rule which also applies to exchanges in a conversation. This will help your readers to move back and forth with you between your characters and to enjoy your writing even more.
07/21/17
Good job with some interesting dialogue and the inner thoughts of the main character.

In a short story such as this, try to keep to one point of view instead of switching back and forth between the minds of two characters. Jan has a great lesson on this in the forum. Check out the writing lessons from Ann and Jan.
This is a great story and really is on target topicwise as well as having a great message. I especially enjoyed the strong relationship between the couple. I could feel the love and respect.

You had what is called POV shifts. The reader should only know what what the MC sees, thinks, hears, and feels. You popped into both characters' heads. By focusing on just one, you're able to do more showing and less telling. For example, I might suggest editing like this:
Jan scrunched up her face as she shifted her weight from one foot to the other. "Sea change?"
Her husband Bill put his hands on her shoulders and pulled her tight against his body. “Yes! I’ve had it with the rat race; no one ever speaks to us--unless they want something.”
Squirming loose from Bill's grip, Jan studied his face.
When Bill wiggled his ears and raised his right eyebrow, Jan threw her hands up. "I never know when you're joking or being serious."

That's just a quick example to show you ways to use body language to express emotions. It helps paint more of a picture for the reader too. Also notice the punctuation and new paragraphs when someone different speaks.

I think your message is a great one. I liked that they prayed about it and even though Bill was a strong leader, he didn't just take control but was concerned about his wife's needs and feelings. You also have a nice subtle sense of humor. The more you write, the stronger you will become. I truly look forward to reading more of your work. You definitely touched my heart with your words.
I love the story line and the way you made Jan see reasons herself.
Interestingly, I must say it's on topic. Maybe I'm a bit off, but then I guess we're not supposed to make mention of the topic word.

Red Ink: Spacing the paragraphs or each new line of thoughts would bring out the beauty in your work, and allow readers flow easily.
Switching POV's has been addressed as well. There's a lesson that talks about writing in different POV's and persons.

In all, it's such a nice story.
Tells us about not imposing our decisions on others as well as seeing from other's POV.
Shalom!
Love..... Success.
07/21/17
I had to laugh. That story was me all over. Being married so many years gives you the edge in thinking you can manipulate or persuade your spouse.

I enjoyed seeing how it played out.

You have received some great red ink. Take it to heart. Just a simple space between paragraphs would have made this so easier to read. I have to have white space or my eyes cross.

There were several instances when showing and not telling would have captured the readers interest better than just using passive words.

You nailed the topic, but remember not to use the topic in your writing if possible.

One more small tip I learned from the book "Techniques of the Selling Writer". Lead into the dialogue with the emotion of the person doing the dialogue. Some feel it is not good to start with the dialogue.

Your very first sentence could have begun with her emotional state and then coming out with her question. H


I will enjoy looking for your future wriitngs. God bless.
Separate each person's conversation in a new paragraph as this helps the readers to catch the change of person doing the talking.

The conversation builds as each person adds another line.

You have good teaching points in this: both prayer and gaining insight from others.

Keep up with the good ideas you have.