The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 384 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/24/19
Oh my goodness, this brought tears to my eyes! Very well done! I only wish the outcome could have been happier. Thank you for sharing your heart!
01/25/19
If I were a judge this week, and I am not - I would be giving this piece full marks and it would be a clear winner in my book. I will not be at all surprised if we see this place No. 1 next week. It is a perfect piece. I don't see anything you can change. -
01/25/19
This is a beautiful and very moving story, and told very well. You've bravely dealt with a topic that often doesn't get talked about, but should be talked about. Thanks for sharing this.
01/25/19
When I read the word “nothing” I wasn’t sure I wanted to continue, but you drew me in with such exquisite writing. Very well done.
Excellent writing on a bittersweet subject. I had a feeling this was going to happen and didn't want it to!
Well I would like to comment, but not sure I can see through these tears. Such a beautiful, sad story.
I am absolutely speechless. I didn't see it coming and it shocked me into sudden tears. I can't even imagine the feelings of those precious parents. You did an amazing job writing this, perfect in every way, except for the sad outcome. Before I went into delivery for my first child, a doctor wheeled a sleeping new mother into the bed next to me. Then he turned to me and said, "She just delivered her baby girl with no feet. She'll need a friend." My heart broke for her just as it does now reading this entry.
01/25/19
I'm sorry for the sad ending. I imagine it wasn't an easy piece to write, but you did so well with it.
01/25/19
Powerfully and evocatively penned, as you open up the anticipation that is so suddenly invaded by the empty silence of such a painful discovery. I hope it rates well, as it should, and I'd recommend your offering it to other publications.
I felt the ending coming and dreaded it. When I worked as an RN, the maternity floor was the happiest place in the hospital. I don't think I could've worked anywhere else. Unfortunately, when it's sad, it's the saddest place in the hospital. Thankfully, I didn't have to prepare a baby to meet his or her parents for the only time very often, but when I did, it was a labor of love. I dressed the baby, took her footprints, if possible snipped a lock of hair, and took pictures. I cried the entire time every time. When my daughter lost her baby, my heart nearly broke. Not only did I grieve the loss of my grandchild, but I also felt my daughter's pain but couldn't do anything to lessen it. My heart aches for you and your family. Your words will help many people heal, and I've no doubt we will both see those grandbabies in Heaven. Thank you for writing this piece. I'm sure it was difficult to do, but also pray it helps in the grieving process (which really never ends, just changes some). You did an outstanding job.
01/26/19
I was already tearing before the ending, for I could see what was going to happen. Well done showing the emotions.
Congratulations on ranking 21 overall! Happy Dance!