The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2784 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
08/23/07
Having come from a Pentecostal background, I can sooo relate to this story! Hilarious and moving at the same time. God can use anyone, can't He, to speak to any heart! Good thing, too, because we have a way of messing up a fairly simple message with our "Holy" speak. It's a wonder anyone gets to the altar! Great story and good writing. You made me smile!
08/23/07
P.S.: I love the title, too! I have a church friend who called his Fantasy Football Team "Jesus Freaks of Nature". :)
08/24/07
Great insights as to what non-Christians can see coming into a church for the first time. Can be somewhat perplexing! Churches need to be conscious of keeping services aimed at non-Christians as well as catering to their flock. And a great ending, God can use any part of a service to get people saved. I've seen people who did not understand a word of the sermon giving their hearts to Jesus because they sensed God's Presence during the praise and worship songs.
Great job of combining humor and a gentle chiding of the church here! Your 'visitor' is a delightful character, and the friend could be any of us! A real treat to read!
08/24/07
Loved this so much. Jesus Freak Speak was perfect title. I can look back and remember many of my misconceptions, confusion, and stereotypical thinking that kept me in the dark. Great reminder to all of us to be more cognizant of the seeker... GREAT JOB!! Felt convicted, laughed, and loved it!
08/24/07
I think this is one of my favorite writers :) Excellent job with your "visitor" - and the service itself. Love the tone of this, from beginning to end. Much to learn here!
Oh, this is so well done. I was just anticipating what would happen next in church that would be confusing. Your mc is delightful.
I was confused at first by the broken English but once I understood it was his second language I really enjoyed it. This is very good. It is good to look at our worship through the eyes of someone new to church. I kept thinking of 1 Corinthians 14: 40 when it says of worship "But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way." Good job.
This is really well done. I often wonder how people of other cultures understand our lingo. You have pictured some of it for me in a delightful way.
08/29/07
Our Christian "terminology" can be very confusing. You were creative with this and this was actually entertaining to read! It gives me something to think about when talking to those not of "the faith".
This was AWESOME! I loved the flow, I could feel the feelings and the bewilderment! Great writing!
08/30/07
Love it! This was very aural--I could just hear it, every word!
ROFL! This was just too funny. By the time I saw where this was going, I was laughing so hard I nearly pounded the keyboard. Great stuff, love the descriptions and the characters. So loveable and earnest. ^_^ My only note is after all of that, I wasn't expecting a Hindu religion, maybe something else...not sure what, but didn't expect that. Was ther something that built up to it? Maybe I missed it, but good job! ^_^
08/30/07
Congratulations on your much deserved EC. This is really good -- and so entertaining. Fantastic job with the topic.
09/08/07
Bravo!! Hysterically funny and point well made!
03/27/08
David, I'd like to feature this very excellent story on the Front Page Showcase for the week of April 21. Look for it on the FW home page. Congratulations!
04/21/08
Oh, so deserving of the front page, dear friend. Hope this'll bring you out of hiding and get ya to write a bit for us. As excellent the second time through as it was the first time. Congrats for being in the spotlight.
This is hysterical! Congrats on your Show Place! A very deserving spot for this. I love it!
oops, I meant to say Showcase!Well, you know what I mean--I'm still giggling!
04/22/08
CONGRATS! Great story! So happy it is being showcased!
04/24/08
I can still hear Bro. Harold. :) Congrats on being the FW Frontpage Showcase author!
You had me from "staining glassy windows." So glad this made it to the Showcase or I'd have missed this and that would be sad. So right on the topic for that week.
Hope to see more from you soon.
This story was awesome! So funny, and yet there is truth to the humor. As a Christian, I often don't realize how some of the church practices must look to outsiders first coming in. It would be even more strange to those visitors from foreign countries.

I loved the voice of your foreign character. I am so happy to see this story showcased. Congratulations!
This was a hilarious read. You got the accent just right, and I pictured your young (in my mind) Hindu clearly right away.
Very well done. Congrats on getting the showcase.