The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1771 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Your story was folksy,friendly, believable, and felt like a chat over the backyard fence.
09/14/06
Thanks for the encouragment (see, you do have a gift even if it isn't gardening!) I needed a good word this afternoon. Just a note - I think it's "gung-ho" but didn't stop to look it up. Never mind, it didn't effect the great message. Good job.
09/15/06
A very visual story which gave a clear sense of place and the writer's character. A good reminder to not try to be what we aren't! yeggy
09/15/06
Love the conversational tone of this - and a wonderful lesson for all of us - especially me at the present!! Kept me interested from beginning to end!
09/18/06
I enjoyed your story and your transparency. Especially liked the line, "I’d much rather dig in a thesaurus than dig in dirt."

Me, too. Except that I love plants and I'm good with them. But not as much as I love writing!

God bless you in your choice!
09/18/06
Gardening is not my cup of tea (one of my favorite sayings, by the way) so I understand. Nice job on the subject however, the word "gung-ho" needs a "g"...which incidentally WAS my cup of tea (ex Marine Corps). Well done.
Nice lead - caught my attention right away.

I liked this part b/c of its honesty: "But just as the bugs invaded my garden, the writing bug bit me. I admit it…I’d much rather dig in a thesaurus than dig in dirt. Yet, lately, I was in a writing slump, tempted to put my writing on the shelf (next to my garden tools)."

I also noticed the "gung-ho" typo...

A realistic story and easy to identify with!

09/19/06
A lively and enjoyable read with a good message. I assume you meant "stunning" perennials instead of "stunting." This story really did feel as Frances described like a "chat over the backyard fence." Keep writing and encouraging!
09/20/06
Ooh, I think we're twins...I could really relate to this piece! Like the idea of the rock garden at the end. Nice, friendly, relaxed voice.
09/20/06
Very nice! And you echo many here in their desire to please the Lord by using the gift He has given us. Thanks for sharing this!
I like the chatty style of this story. Good job!
I like your slant on the topic. I wondered how the non-gardeners might approach the subject, and I like how you addressed the issue head-on with "not my cup of tea". Great job!
09/20/06
I could really connect with this one! I too have coveted a gardener’s skill, but have to confess that it really isn’t there. I too need to simply enjoy the gifts I do have! I am not sure that the really big spaces between such short paragraphs was helpful to me as the reader.