The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1416 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Your details here provide a great character description. Makes me wonder what my kids will find.
06/12/09
Oh, this is exceptionally compelling and descriptive and heartwrenching. Masterful characterization and description.
06/14/09
Superb descriptions. However did you think up such a totally appropriate unconnected jumble of random objects?? This was really a case of every object told a story. And the daughter's feelings came through just as powerfully as the old lady's character.
The only part that didn't work for me was the ending. It opened up too many questions about why she had shed so many desperate tears? Nevertheless an excellent entry.
06/14/09
This one gets me in the gills...sniff. Phenomenal descriptions combined with weighty emotion created a stellar piece. I loved the ending, with all the contents of her pockets representing bits of her life; especially the kleenex marking her struggle with depression. Perfectly pensive.
06/25/09
Superb writing brought me into that kitchen with your MC, sharing her emotions as I got to know her mom through the things she left behind and the daughter's memories. Reminded me of when I helped clean out my grandmother's apartment years ago.
This was a fascinating story that grabbed me and held me through the last word.