The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1617 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Informative - I only knew the "surface" of what you've told here. I wasn't sure about the jump after the first paragraph somehow...but after reading the whole thing it made more sense...especially when I got to, "there is still a lesson in that famous song about a big muddy waterway that ever flows but doesn’t see."

I'd like to see the "just keep rolling along" theme expanded. The imagery could be powerful! I enjoyed thinking about the characteristics of the Mississippi - loyal, powerful, dangerous, legendary. And, "The mighty Mississippi River was a euphemism for the misguided thinking of American society who paid little attention to the population still shackled by blind prejudice."
Wow, very interesting! I love to know the history of things, and this was great because it included lots of little histories. Very well written too. Your little message at the end tied it all up nicely. Thanks!
09/10/06
A real interesting, enjoyable,
enlightening and entertaining read. I can still hear that deep bass voice singing "Old Man River"...such a wonderful story. Well written piece of work and right on target, topic-wise. Very nicely done.
09/10/06
PS: by the way, your title is another song I loved..."It's a treat to beat your feet in the Mississippi Mud" - tells my age, but whatever. lol
09/15/06
Linda, this is such interesting reading, I shall have to add it to my favorites. My "river" story is about one of those Mississippi river disasters, and this makes me want to search to read more. Thanks for this worthwhile read!