The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 450 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Wonderful story of “stepping out of the boat”. The enjoyment you are both having with this new relationship shines through. The part about “drying and lemming” was delightful. Looking forward to hearing how the friendship progress.
This is a truly sweet piece that pierced my heart. You have put pen to paper and laid down a love story that is so very inspiring, to say the least! Let us know if the Asian woman gets saved in a future story, will ya? Thanx...
Wow this gives me goosebumps and a lump in my throat. I love hearing the ways God uses us, especially when we (by we I really mean me) may not feel capable, worthy, good enough, unskilled... Your MC though has a sense of who she is and that God has huge plans for these important testimonies.

Even though this is a true story, I'd urge you to still paint a picture with dialog, body language, and thoughts. It's okay if you can't remember it exactly. It's still nonfiction, but creative nonfiction. For example, I might edit something (just to show you what I mean) like this:
I nibbled on my fingernails and took a deep breath. "Uhm, well, so what do you think? Should we give it a try?"
Exhaling, I massaged my temples as I tried to keep up with my thoughts.
<i>What if she says yes? </i>I shook my head and flapped my hands back and forth, again and again. </i>What if she says no? </i> I could feel my eyes bulge as my mind raced.

Over a year ago, our new neighbors moved in. Jesse seemed normal and nice enough. I'd heard snippets of his story. He'd been working in Vietnam when he fell in love with Trang, who spoke almost no English. I had struggled to develop a relationship with her because of the language barrier. Mainly, I smiled and waved at her.

Notice I added details, but I also tried to avoid a POV shift. Remember you can only know what the MC thinks, sees, and hears. The only way you'd know the neighbors' thoughts and decisions would be if they tell you. There's a great book in the FW sh{p called Bringing Your Writing to Life that will better explain POV shifts. It works for both fiction and nonfiction.

I think you did a fantastic job of writing on topic while still showcasing a wonderful lesson. Plus you do all this without it feeling preachy. I've so enjoyed reading your work these past few weeks and it's been a delight to see you become a stronger writer each week. I've no doubt that God has great plans for you. Keep writing, and keep leaving valuable feedback for others. It's a great way to make others feel good, but I've found it helped me probably way more than I've helped others.

Congratulations on ranking 3rd in your level and 11th overall! Happy Dance!