The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 831 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Wiping my tears I found hits to be such a sad story but after reading that this is a true piece my heart even broke more. I lost my mom 2 yrs ago due to complications, after she had a severe stroke.I helped care for her while she was in the hospital for 3 weeks and then while she lived out her days in the nursing home. Every day I would go up there, often 2 or 3 times because I just wanted to spend as much time with her as I could. Some of the staff were nice but there was a few nurses and other people who were accostic and had lost heart I think because they weren't very kind and warm. It broke my heart when my precious momma passed away but I am so glad that she did know the Lord.
Thank you for being one of those "kind and loving" nurses who goes our of their way to make others feel loved and taken care of. You surely will be rewarded in heaven if not before! Hugs. Amazing story-just beautiful-Well done!!!
This broke my heart, I too was A nurse and was often baffled by family interactions.When are we going to give the elderly the respect that they so deserve?
06/11/11
Oh wow, I too am sitting here with tears in my eyes. My heart heavy with sorrow that the “real” Hope had to experience this. Just reading this angers me, because of my dad’s recent stay in a nursing home due to a stroke, I know how much those visits from family meant. Like Janice with her mom, I visited my dad often, for hours at a time. But I know there were many that did not get those visits. All the sacrifices parents make for their children and then, so many left alone, if the children have to sacrifice. Sad!

I can say my dad had wonderful caretakers in the home, and like Janice, I feel they are earth’s angels that do that kind of work, that is so often heart wrenching!

This was so well written, just a masterpiece of emotion and illustration of different outlooks.

Applause not only on this work but for your years of sacrifice nursing the needy, with love, understanding and compassion!
06/13/11
This also touched me deeply and brought tears to my eyes. We put mom in a nursing home a month ago, but fortunately she has had lots of visits, I go 2-3 times a week. It is very hard because she cries when I leave. But the staff are so wonderful! Thanks for sharing! God bless!
I've seen this story often on visits to the nursing home over the years with my 4-H club and then my church. One of the saddest things I experienced was when a nurse guided us away from one of the rooms. The woman was about to die at any moment. The room was empty; no family or friends there in her last moments of life.

Such a sad tale, but kudos to people like you who brighten their lives! Good job on telling this story.
06/15/11
Beautifully written and so movingly expressed. I hope you rate highly with this.
06/15/11
A tribute to the ones like Hope. This is a very well expressed and sad story. Reading this brought to mind two verses.

Even to your old age I [God] will be the same, And even to your graying years I will bear you! I have done it, and I will carry you; And I will bear you and I will deliver you. (Isaiah 46:4 NAS)

Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day. (2 Corinthians 4:16 NAS)

06/15/11
This is so sad. Very poignant, the fact stories like this existed in your nursing experience. Thanks for sharing.
06/16/11
As a pastor's kid, I've been to countless nursing homes with countless Hopes. This still breaks my heart. Excellent writing and what a great idea for this topic!
Congratulations for placing 8th in advanced and 24 overall!