The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1879 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/17/08
Someone once told me, "Being pitiful is being full of the pit." I love this story--love the characters and the flow of the dialogue. The star is definitely Dad, but the mom shines, too in the happy ending!
04/17/08
Yes, it's easy to get a bit bent out of shape. :) I really like your "What happened to 'Her children will rise up and call her blessed?'" comment. It's perfect. I truly enjoyed this heart-warming story. Mom's everywhere need to read this. :)
Loved your poor MC here. Well done and light, I enjoyed this little vignette. Title is perfect, and loved how you tied in back in at the end.
04/21/08
Fantastic. A thoroughly delightful piece of writing. I particularly liked the way that out-at-work Dad was still able to interact with his kids.
Boy, can I relate to your MC. How many times have I pouted because I worked with the kids all day, but then their faces lit up when DAD came home. I love the dad, but I can relate to the mom. This entry made me smile. I thought your ending was especially strong! Great job.
04/22/08
Excellent! I love the way that you opened and closed with the same phrase, but with totally different attitude. Great literary technique.
04/22/08
Love this, Laura. The dialogue is realistic and you paint many colorful images for the reader with your descriptions. Very engaging!
04/23/08
Great view into a family blessed with two good parents. Loved the ending where the mother stopped resenting the competition but appreciated what she had as well.
I don't know. Even though the dad is supposed to be the star in this one (and to his kids he's the star), I found myself focused more on the mother. She made me laugh several times with her attempts to be the #1 parent.

This was a fun and humorous take on the topic. I LOVED it!
04/24/08
Excellent, EXCELLENT dialog. This was SO real and SO typical of us moms sometimes. Love it!
Awww! I felt 'sorry' for the mother. I wanted her to be 'noticed' too. lol. I liked the ending though-and especially the title, you made me laugh all the way through this! Excellent work! ^_^
Moms everywhere will love you for this. It's easy to feel under-appreciated. Strong writing.
04/24/08
Oh man, can I relate to this one!! Right down to the pity party!! LoL. Wonderful, Laura. I loved it--it's good to know that I'm not the only mom that gets in a dither (LoL) over being ousted by the best dad around!! Hugs!
04/24/08
Laura, I love it! Congrats on your win!! It's easy to feel like apples and peanut butter sometimes, isn't it?
Congratulations! Well done.
04/24/08
Oh Laura! This is wonderful! Congratulations on your third place entry! So very very proud of you, girlfriend! Great reading!
04/24/08
YAY Laura! I love this...well written and so very true for stay at home moms. cONGRATS AND MOVE ON UP!
04/24/08
This captures the different roles of mother and father really well. I kept thinking of the commercials where the kids stand up and salute their mom for serving I think Tyson chicken wings instead of chips and they play the music. I think it did highlight the mom, but it still was effective in reversing right back to the fact - that Dad has his own special way with the kids. Great job!
04/24/08
Laura...I'm so excited for you. Congrats on placing with this!!
Congratulations! Awesome writing! ^_^ I'm so happy for you!
04/24/08
Congratulations on your EC, Laura! Loved the dialogue. Are you moving on up?
04/24/08
YEA !!!! Laura !
Moving up in the world! Congratulations!
04/24/08
LOL. You really captured the mom pity party. Terrific MC and a real tribute to Dads. Fantastic and deserving of EC. (I like how you worked in all the technology - and how that helps family keep in touch.)
04/25/08
Welcome to Masters Laura. So pleased to see you achieve it with this excellent article too.
04/25/08
Wonderful entry. I could really feel the mom's pain and then her triumph as she realized she'd been having a pity-party. Congratulations!
04/26/08
Congrats Laura! I think you peeked in my window to write this one. We have a daughter who is 200% DADDY's girl and I'll confess, this year has been difficult for me. Thanks for the great message.
Laura! This is so great to see. I don't know how I missed it the first time around, but reading it just now helps to continue to brighten my day. Your writing is fresh and real and a delight to read. Congratulations and it's great to share the EC with such talent. Loren