The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2094 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
05/23/05
What an original take on Valentine's Day! Written well, with believable characters. This one's a keeper!
Living, breathing characters. What a way to bring hope in such devistation.
05/23/05
Wow!
05/23/05
Excellent writing from someone who obviously has heard many terrible stories.
Original and stirring, a creative way to tell of the power of love to attempt to overcome even the most horrible. Your use of geographical references gave it authenticity and a perspective of non-fiction. I hope it is made up, but I'm sure the tragedy isn't even if the story is. Well done.
Powerful story! Good historical detail and very interesting.
05/23/05
Creative and powerful - good job
A bold departure from the usual Valentine fare. The voices of your characters are very convincing and the setting is well conveyed. I loved how faith and hope surfaced from such tragic events. Nicely done!
05/25/05
Had me on the edge of my seat. You handled the 'nasty bits' with sensitivity and opened the door to forgiveness and reconcilliation.
05/25/05
What painful memories, but you are ready for hope and reconciliation. Beautifully written.
Fantastic job!
05/26/05
Difficult to read in the hurting spots, but brilliantly executed. This one deserves a win. Congratulations on an outstanding job.
05/27/05
Excellente'
05/27/05
i think you wrote a winner here - beautifully crafted and you transported me back to Africa.
A beautiful story in every way. Wonderful description. I could see Vestina and Benimana playing on the cracked mud flats... Powerful message about forgiveness. In a word - WOW!
05/27/05
I agree. Exceptionally written, a powerful, emotional piece.
Well done!
Blessings, Lynda
05/30/05
Touching and believable - beyond well done! Enjoyed this to the end and would like a part two!
05/30/05
I loved this piece, Maxx. It gave me a real insight into another part of the world and the awful awful things that have happened. Into that, you shone a ray of hope. A good friend is married to someone who suffered terribly through all that you describe, so I especially identified with the piece. I wonder how hard it really must be for even a Christian to move on ... don't see these two childhood friends making it as a couple myself, but the article made me think and think again long after reading it. Thanks.
I've worked in Sri Lanka on a few occasions and see this same division between Singulease and Tamil people. You captured the tension, the pain and the remorse very well. What I loved most about this story is that you wrote through the POV of a young girl. You left out a highly sophiticated language and wrote as if she were the one writing the story. Because of that, your story was very believanble and engaging. Although, I must admit, I didn't like the ending. I thought she should've just turned and walked away, but I'm not the author and many people have told me that my endings were horrible and I completly disagreed with them. So Maxx, you have every right to disagree with me. I also loved the phrasing. You adopted words that existing in that country. You didn't use Western words to explain an African home/custom. This is great Maxx! (Still looking for a horrible entry. LOL)