The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2037 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/27/06
Masterful writing! I could hear the beast's bellows and feel the fear. I'd read this novel in a heartbeat. Reminded me of a great Peretti novel and also the story of David and Goliath. Very good stuff.
This was written beautifully. (Sounds a little like a famous FW author!)Great job.
I love it, I love it, I love it! But there's just one problem, the end! I feel left hanging (but maybe that was the point). At any rate, I would love to see what happens next? How does Geoff defeat the dragon? Please share with us the rest.

Thanks, and God bless,

Kevin
03/03/06
Skillfully written to be sure; well described, the feel, the atmosphere, the tension, the whole package -- except for a disappointing ending. Certainly some of the rising action and description could have been sacrificed to deliver on what was well-promised; while we are assured Good will indeed triumph moral-wise, there is not sufficient within the foreshadowing to bring us a resolution within the story. All in all, however, very very good. Jazzed me.
03/03/06
Amazing! I absolutely love medieval/gothic stories! I could see the terrified mother and sister and feel the fear in the household. Truly captivating! I agree with everyone else; you must write the ending so we all know what happens! :-)
03/03/06
Wonderful! I could visualize the scene perfectly, and I love the fact that you left us to determine the ending. An expert story-teller.
03/03/06
Is this a midieval David and Goliath? Cool! Great useage of words to grab hold of the reader and not let go. Heavy, entertaining and truely Gothic. You did it!
03/03/06
Love the premise; this could easily be expanded into a good one-act play. I can visualize the setting: A somewhat dismal shanty and an open window in which an orange glow/flashes become increasingly brighter. Light-colored costumes could set the characters apart from their gloomier surroundings. Where do I buy a ticket?
So...does he defeat the dragon? Figure he does, but can't wait to hear "the rest of the story..." Good job.
03/04/06
If you haven't written 'the end' as part of an 'enter' entry, you're in BIG trouble.

Okay, okay, so I suppose that's a begrudged compliment. You've sucked us in and left us clamouring for more. Well done.
As always, your words transport my mind to a different world. The scenes, the emotions ... Very well done.
03/05/06
Ditto to the above remarks; well done! Whether Geoff survives the battle or not is irrelevant; his faith wins him eternity. You create empathic ties deftly and with few words. Kudos!
03/05/06
A wonderful adventure and I'd like to read the rest of it.
03/06/06
"The walls of the shanty trembled anew, shaken by unearthly gusts." How about an epic poem? Your first sentence grabbed me (oh, what delicious rhythm!) and I had to relish the taste over and over. Reminds me a bit of The Highwayman, or The Raven! I had to read the whole thing, just because of your first sentence! I want to read the poem!
03/06/06
Masterfully written...as always....I'm wondering...don't you have any books we can read? I so enjoy your short challenge entries. I'd love to read some of your books!
Good writing. I love it when a message is stressed on FAITH. Beautiful.
A masterpiece, as usual, with a good dose of relational angst.

Loved these lines:

"“The only thing I hold in abundance. Faith.” He backed from her, feet unwilling to turn away.

She blinked. “And courage.” A crystal tear fell past her quivering lips, moistening the ground below."

God's faithfulness will prevail! Now where are chapters 2 through 10?!?!

Incredible. Nice job Frank Per..I mean Maxx. I really liked this. The descriptions were vivid.. beautiful. I loved this sentance, "The cloak fit well about his shoulders." That sentance spoke volumes about how he was stepping into his destiny and it was time to battle. Incredible story. I think I could find a few stories in there. I would probably have to read it a few more times to grasp every metaphor and each different storyline you weaved in there. I really loved your characters. Very well written and well paced. Great work.