The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 550 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
This is a fascinating story. I enjoyed the precocious nature of Nelson and the courage he had in setting off to find justice for his dad. You did a great job in developing a likable character and giving him more than one conflict to resolve.

I wonder if the deadline got the better of you, I noticed several errors that you would have likely caught if you were able to let the story rest a bit and then proofread it several times. It wasn't a big deal in the grand scheme of your story: missing quotation marks,incorrect punctuation,switching tense. You should capitalize Mom when it is being used as a name.

It was a nice piece and I really enjoyed how the Bible verse made Nelson step and think. At first I thought serving Lefty coffee was a stretch but then the message about true forgiveness sunk in. You show a passion for your characters and kept me in suspense. Keep writing and working on polishing the little things. You definitely have a knack for storytelling and for the subtle messages. Nice job.
07/17/11
I don’t know if it was because of the word limit and parts got cut that would have explained more, but to be honest I was confused by some of the details in this that seemed unrealistic and left me with questions…Why was Lefty not already in police custody having killed a police officer? How would the boy know to find Lefty in that café, but yet the police didn’t…Why would a café have its door locked?... How did the police know to show up to arrest Lefty right as the boy was throwing mints on the floor?...Why would the boy’s dad leave a message with the killer for his son?... Also, I too thought the boy, having now become police chief, taking a job moonlighting in that Log Cabin café just to have coffee and peppermints waiting for Lefty was not realistic…because as a police chief he could have had access to Lefty anytime and known when his release would be and would not have to moonlight just wondering and waiting.

Also, I would suggest paragraph breaks, so hard to read a story when it all runs together.

That said, this has real promise, as Shann said, with polishing to become a terrific story of a boy truly forgiving his dad’s killer, because overall I enjoyed reading the idea of what's here and the message of forgiveness it brings.
07/20/11
There are some great images here, but the lack of para breaks impeded my grasp of the action, which seemed to jump around a lot. I also found the timing a bit hard to follow.
Clear breaks would also have helped me here as well.