The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1167 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
08/06/09
I love this...especially the line from your title...I laughed out loud! I can just see your MC "hiding out".
Great story!
08/06/09
The title most definitely caught my eye and insisted that I read your story! I think you'll get a lot of reads because your title. I really enjoyed the MC's take on adulthood. Very realistic for a child. Great job, keep it up!
08/06/09
this story is precious!
08/06/09
An enjoyable story. Loved the MCs voice.
Once again, proof that southern slang wins these competitions. Most comments by the first readers are on this particular entry. I'm not a big fan of the "it sounds like Mark Twain wrote this so we have to praise it" line of thinking.

This is "definitely" a good entry, however, I don't think it is worthy of more than three times the amount of praises and responses as all the other entries.

Sorry, but that's just the way I am critiquing this entry; good, but too much emphasis on southern charm as the main draw here. Call me a Yankee if you must. LOL

08/07/09
A fun read!
not sure I detected all that much of a southern accent- I got the impression you were going more for the voice of a youngster who drops some of his words in the front.
This was a nice peek into the adult world as seen through the eyes of a kid. I liked it!
08/11/09
Good job.
08/11/09
Very witty written from a little boy perspective...."con grassmen" made me laugh out loud!
08/11/09
Great job, loved your POV. I could envision this as a true story. (I think it got lots of comments because it's good, not because it's "Mark Twain sounding".) Keep up the good work! (Loved the title)
08/11/09
I know of no children who want clothes for presents. Enjoyed this very much.

mona
That's quite a title, all right! LOL But don't get bogged down on little stuff in your writing. You did a good job and although "puke" is not my favorite word, I still loved your enry!
You definitely did a good job of getting a typical little boy's viewpoint across, and the title was a real attention grabber.
Very cute! I adore the title and the child-voice. I had hidey places at Gramma's too. :)
This kid's a lot smarter than I was at his age. Very observant and able to know his mind. I thoroughly enjoyed sharing his hiding place and his insights; and found it all very, very believable.
08/12/09
I love your title and this honest little boy. Very good story;)
LOL! What a cute title-and I like how it fits in with the story. The ending showed the MC's age fairly well and covered child-like mind with simple honesty. Good job!
08/14/09
Your story brings to the forefront of my mind something I've struggled with for years. That being, I am always being forced to act as a mature adult when my natural tendency is to be a child. And another thing...when I was a child we were very poor and we wore clothes made from feed sacks. We kids were excited to get store bought clothes.