The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1578 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
08/22/08
Oh, I wouldn't have thought of this for the topic. I was engaged the whole way through.
08/22/08
Good job on helping us to get to know these familiar characters even better. And to those familiar with the rest of the story, the irony in the last paragraph is rich!
I'm very "picky" when it comes to biblical fiction, but you handled this story well, preserving its integrity, while making it relatable. Great writing!
08/26/08
You did a very nice job in telling this part of Sarah's story. Excellent writing!
Oh, I love this! Wow, you really brought the story alive. I love when this is done and you did it well. Great entry.
08/27/08
Oh my, this was GREAT. I loved loved loved the last paragraph!
Your first time to do a Bible story, huh? Well, you did a masterful job! Excellent work. Blessings, Cheri
You should definitely write more Bible stories! I absolutely loved this. Great flow, supurb story-telling. Kudos!!
COngratulations! Bet you'll be celebrating at the McClay house tonight!
Congratulations. I thought you did a great job and deserved the recognition.
08/28/08
Very realistic and befitting characterization of Hagar and Sarai. I could feel that inner struggle in Sarai before she confessed for her husband. I also smile at the end, but, again, Sarah will suffer more over that than Abraham does too. Congratulations!!!!!
08/28/08
Congratulations on your EC. Very clever telling of this Bible story. Excellent job with the topic.
08/29/08
Great choice of topic Shirley and you really made it come vibrantly alive. Cute twist with Hagar's origins!
08/29/08
You told this so well I could see it all happening in vivid colors. I laughed too at the irony of the last paragraph. Great job showing us a little bit more about Sarah and a hypothetically creative relationship with Hagar. A well deserved 1st place and EC win!
08/29/08
Congratulations are in order, and well deserved. You have the talent of great imagination. It is hard to fictionize a Bible story. I have tried, but I guess my imagination doesn't extend too far off the beaten track. Good for you for a story well told...Helen
Shirley,

What an interesting interpretation. I like how you made these people from Genesis seem so 'everyday'. And Sarai's laugh at the end is a wonderful little tie-in to her future behaviour.

Nicely done!
Super,super,super, SUPER job! This is the best combination of wit, depth, and entertainment that I have bumped into since reading last year's best. Top-notch writing. Thanks!