The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 990 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
06/12/08
Ahhh...Jane Goodall (In the Shadow of Man). Chimps ARE our closest living relatives (in biochemistry) and their behavior helps us understand our own. This is very creative and very interesting to read! Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience of actually observing their social behavior.
06/13/08
What a fun comparison and I had to smile at this, "a few of these apes looked awfully familiar to a cousin or two of mine." Nicely written with great description of a world I'll probably only read about. I enjoyed this "romp with the chimps."
06/16/08
Wonderfully descriptive--and I grinned toward the end, when you started to be reminded of your human relatives. Very entertaining read.
A very enjoyable read! Some beautiful descriptive language - "The forest of verdant greens unfurled to the touch of the sun," and "they form a river of voices," among my favorite phrases. I like how you made it personal toward the end, and also injected humor. Nice work. :)
You are a master of descriptions in this piece. I enjoyed it immensely! Kudos!
06/17/08
"although a few of these apes looked awfully familiar to a cousin or two of mine."...This was cute! I loved your story. How very clever of you to relate this reunion to a human reunion. I loved the part about your cousin Doug reminding you of the clunk on the head....Hope this story is a winner...Helen
What wonderful descriptive writing! I particularly loved Each individual breath, whisper, song, and call joins the others, until like the rushing streams of Gombe, they form a river of voices, overwhelming to the senses. Your writing is such that I could hear the birds and the chattering of the chimps. Kudos Emily, kudos :- )
06/19/08
I enjoyed all the sights and sounds in this story. Thanks for the laughs too. ("I left that observation out of my written report..." LOL) Well done.