The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1308 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
What a refreshing take on the topic. I'd considered the idea of a mother bringing home uncles and so glad I left it to you. Great twist, glad his life came of something, it would have been easy to have been swept under the rug growing up like that.
04/25/08
I like this one very much. Thanks for the patriotic twist.
04/25/08
Your beginning is great. :) This is excellently written. I like this "second time in a day I lost the fight and surrendered, crying 'Uncle.'" I think you did a great job describing the thoughts of your MC, especially with his analysis of his Mom's "uncles", then his willingness to trade four uncles, and even an aunt :), for just ONE Dad! I love that you wrote about "Uncle Sam!" Your title is perfect! You were truly "Always Faithful". Great work on this!
04/26/08
Wonderful perspective. This was interesting and well-written. I was glad to see that his lonliness drew him to do something constructive with his life. My son is also a Marine, so that part made me smile.
Great outside-the-box thinking on this one. Your MC rose above more than one nemesis, and I'm glad Nick the Bully was one of them.
05/01/08
I agree that this was an out of the box entry. A unique take on the topic. As far as grammar, remember to keep your commas inside the quotation marks for speaking parts. But grammar is only one part of the judging. I could feel the boy's pain from the humiliation he suffered with no help on the homefront to comfort him.