The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1633 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
05/26/06
OMG! I'm crying and smiling? It's easy to do both when someone you love dies. Especially when you know you'll most definitely be with that someone again! You can even find Joy! Well done!
05/27/06
Very sensitively writtne. Two technical notes - vice not vise and you lapsed into 'our' at one point when it wasn't direct speech - when she was in the bath-tub. But apart from those little details, a strong piece of writing. Well done
05/29/06
Very beautiful and touching story!

This may just be a personal preference, but the way it is structured the flow of the story seemed jump ahead without warning. What I mean is like between these two lines:

"Greg pulled his handkerchief from his pocket and swiped at his eyes. “Yeah Jenn, we were blessed.”

Joanna found Greg and Jennifer sitting at the kitchen table. The kitchen was bulging with an array of food."

Again this is just my opinion, but maybe just another space added between these lines would imply another scene taking place. Just before the first line above Mom was with them in their discussion and in the next line she finds them at the table.

This doesn’t distract from this wonderful message, just a minor hiccup in the flow. Over all, a very nice job.
05/29/06
This is very tender and sweet, a study of joy depsite sorrow. One tiny thing: she saw Jennifer, not she seen Jennifer. Really good characters here.
05/29/06
A good read. I like the way we really got a glimpse of Harry and his character when he responded to his son running one car into the other. I wish my father had said the same thing when I actually did this as a teenager! Good job!
05/29/06
Touching story. A reminder that through all the sadness, we can still find joy in our memories. Nice job! Blessings, Jo
05/29/06
Very touching. Nicely written, albeit a couple of flow issues. Thanks for sharing this piece.
05/30/06
A beautiful story filled with emotions of love not lost, but lived. Very good, and very touching.
You beautifully revealed the sweetness of a truly loving family here. I can't add anything to the writing that hasn't already been said, except you missed a question mark. So I'll just say well done.
05/30/06
What a touching story. You did a good job of conveying such bittersweet emotions. There are a few little punctuation errors that could be caught by a peer editor before you submit. Find someone whose writing you admire, and whose style/genre is similar to yours and ask if they'd mind proof-reading your entries. I'm sure you'll find lots of willing people around here (Anita shyly raises her hand from the back row.)

Overall, this was a really nice read. You should hold your head high!
A very nice story, very touching. Good job.