The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 450 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
03/18/16
Well, Jesus DID say that he had other sheep not of this flock! That must have been fun to write.
03/19/16
This is extremely creative and thought-provoking.

The problem with science fiction in such a restricted amount of words is that you have to spend too much time world-building, which to the reader, looks like 'telling, not showing.' As a consequence, characterization is lacking and the piece lacks emotional depth. In general, the more alien the world you create, the more words you need in order to attend to plot building and character development.

To make this fit within the 750-word limit and still have developed characters, work on only developing one aspect of the alien culture, and sacrificing back story. And in my opinion, the real story here is Shirin's poor daughter--but we still know almost nothing about her; she's hidden away for the whole story. What if you'd written it from her POV, and gotten into her feelings about her dilemma?

Just some things for you to think about. It may be that this story should be told, just in a longer form. It's certainly not like anything I've read before, and that's a good thing.
03/21/16
Well done!

Blessings~