The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 672 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/05/15
Great job with the subject and a great job with your writing!

God bless~
02/06/15
good job! this breezed through the topic easily:) I don't know why, but I found the soap opera obsession very entertaining:)
Very nice! It was faced paced and kept my curiousity with the friends and the soap! Well done
Yes, anything we get "involved" in can be our trap that leads us to slothfulness.

This is one story a person cannot real slowly.
I really enjoyed the concept behind this story. I've never been into soap opera, but I do watch way too much TV. I really enjoyed the way you developed your MC. Her dialog was realistic for her character and really helped develop her true nature. That's not always easy to do with such a limited word count, but I had a great mental picture of your MC.

It was a little confusing to figure out who was speaking. One way to break it up would be to add some action. I understand the effect you were going for by not having Jen talk, but it was confusing. You might have been able to still get the effect with something like this:"Hey, I was just watching my soap. I don’t want to miss this part; would you mind just sitting down here and then I’ll go get us coffee or tea or something in a little bit...OK?”I plopped on the couch not waiting to hear Jen's answer.

Clearing her throat, Jen started to speak. "Maybe I-- "
I waved my hand at her and she clamped her lips shut.

Another tiny thing I noticed was in this line:
Monday is my favorite day for my Soaps because something big always happens that leaves you hanging the Friday before.
You did what many writers and real people do, you switched from I to the universal you. Since I (The reader) don't watch soaps, they never leaving me hanging, but they do leave the MC hanging, so you'd want to stay in the first person. Jan talks about this in her lesson this week in her forum, Jan's Writing Basics.

Overall, I think you did a splendid job. You definitely nailed the topic. I can't imagine ever treating someone like that, so it was particularly interesting for me to read. It's easy for me to understand your great message and apply it to my own life. That's another thing you did a great job of, delivering an important message that pretty much everyone can relate to, without it coming off feeling preachy or like a lecture. I think it was a fun and interesting read and I thoroughly enjoyed it.