The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 630 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
You did an excellent job of starting right off with a real attention-getter. I love a good story that includes the smell of urine. It makes it feel real and easily allowed me to manage the other smells as well. You built the suspense and kept me eager to continue to read on.

You may want to consider putting thoughts into italics, that way the reader will realize they are thoughts and it might be a more effective tool.

Instead of taglines like he thought or he said, you might want to use that space for body language. For example take this line: Looking to his cherished friend, King Darius asks "have you disobeyed my decree?" (There should be a comma after asked and a cap on Have.)You could use body language to help show the king's emotions: Looking at his friend, King Darius swallowed back his tears. "Have you..."
That's just a quick example to show you what I mean. It creates a picture for the reader while still letting them know who is speaking. Also remember that if the same person is speaking in a new paragraph, there are no end quotes at the end of first para, but there are begin quotes at the start of the next.(You had the begin quotes.)

The transition from being down among the lions to back to his chambers confused me just a bit. I still thought he was below the den at first, but once I realized that it was more of a flashback, I again settled easily into the story. You did a nice job of bringing it to life. I enjoyed the way you characterized Daniel. I always think it's fascinating how different people imagine different things about the same story. To me that shows that the Holy Spirit is at work, ensuring that each person takes what he needs from it.

I also enjoyed the part where Daniel thinks that all he has to do is deny. That really stood out to me and shows that we all have a choice. We can deny our Lord and maybe life will be easier here, but, oh, what we would miss in the afterlife!

I also liked the fresh take on the topic. You did a great job with that. I have no doubt that Daniel wondered, if not out and out believed, that this was the end of his time on earth. Great job of thinking outside the box. I enjoyed this piece from beginning to end and it made me stop and think--which is always a good thing.
03/08/14
I have to say this is very well done. You definitely have a splendid way with descriptions. I felt like I was there.

You should move up rather quickly. Good Job!
03/08/14
A great angle on the topic and the story of Daniel which is sadly one I'm not super familiar with. Descriptions are obviously your strong point and I think if you brushed up on some punctuation things like commas and quotes you wold be an even stronger writer. Great job.
03/08/14
Excellent job with the Book of Daniel in how "you" presented it in this well written entry. One of my favorite books, the meanings, messages, and the prophecies in this book abound.

You've done a super job with the topic and with your entry!

Excellent work!

God bless~
Incredible imagery and hitting all the senses. This is very good.
03/09/14
A great take on the old story, Daniel and the lions den. I like the lion pushing up against his face and purring.

The first part was a little too vivid for my liking, but these days, it seems that's what people want. Your descriptions were very good though.

Blessings, Vonnie
Your story of Daniel is very vivid. I enjoyed reading it.
One suggestion would be to keep the narrative in one tense--without changing back and forth from past to present.
A very good entry to make a Bible event come alive.

Expand this and it become a drama of which we know the outcome.

The Bible comes more alive and real when we envision scenes like this.
03/11/14
A vivid read! Great creative extension on a wonderful story! I loved the ending when you explained how they all curled up beside him!
03/12/14
You are certainly a very powerful and gifted writer. Your descriptive scenes are excellent.

My only red ink is very minor.

Word choice caused me to stumble a few times. Here are three examples of several that I saw:

In the first paragraph two lions are biting into 'his' neck not 'its' neck.

"Guards," ordered the King, "throw Daniel into the very den of lions." The word 'very', for me, seems a little out of place. I understand that in the right style of speech it would fit, but that style is not evidenced in the rest of the conversation.

...whispered "end times," - this doesn't fit at all for me and suggests use of the term just to fit the topic. The spite suggested by this is a good part of the story, but something like, "Good bye" or even just "The end" would work better, I think.

These are minor points and only distract from the story in a minor way. Your ability to write graphic scenes and to weave a good story far out weigh these shortcomings.

Blessings.
03/13/14
Definitely a unique way to retell a favorite OT miracle.

The graphic beginning was softened somewhat by the purring lion at the end.