The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1265 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
03/08/06
Cute story. A couple of minor details: ie. "yelped" and commas: "You come down from there right now, young man.” But the dialogue was interesting and the conclusion well done. Good job.
03/09/06
Needs work on dialogue, not sure when the speaker changed. Was it the doctor speaking or the mother in the sentence ...if they haven't gotten Rick to the hospital when they did..Keep working and keep writing.
03/09/06
Sorry I reread the article I see it was the Dad speaking. My mistake.
This was a really good growing up story. Like Lynda, I also saw a few punctuation problems and typos.

A line between "Rick nodded." and '“The doctor said if we were a little longer...' would effectively show the passage of time.

I wonder if this line might be said in a different way: "The trap door in floor of the tree house lifted by means of a rope and squeaky pulley." Maybe you could say, "Billy heard the pulley squeak as Rick pulled the rope that lifted the door in the treehouse floor."

In dialogue a comma, not a period, comes before the quotation mark and explanatory words. For example: “Enter the bat cave.” Rick invited. should be "Enter the bat cave," Rick invited.

The dialogue at the very beginning between Billy and Rick sounded very natural. I could picture the entire scene before me. Seemed just how siblings would act toward one another. Good job!