The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1213 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
The shifts from the story of the bear to the literary works about Paddington Bear to the devastation of the Peruvian populace were difficult to follow. Allowing more writing room to focus on one aspect in a story will help the reader stay clear as to the intended purpose of the piece. :)
02/14/09
I love the title of this piece--it drew me right in.

I had a hard time following the jumps in the story, and wasn't always sure of how the paragraphs were connected.

I was in Paddington Station last summer (and I kept looking for that bear...)!
02/16/09
I like the title, too. I was also a little confused about the bear in the beginning and was thinking: "Was it a REAL bear that was found in Paddington station?" Since I'm not that familiar with the story behind the Paddington bear, I couldn't quite follow the plot from there. I think with a few more sentences of explanation on each section of your story, the reader will better understand and follow this lovely "bear" tale! It really is intriguing to think that a real live bear was able to follow commands to stow away and wait in a station. I'd like to know the rest of the story.
Yes, you had me at the title too, Anne. I also struggled a bit with following the story, but I don't think you have to change very much to make it work… simply add a few words of explanation here and there - fill it out into the lovely story it might be - for example, if there was a different leading paragraph that explained a wee bit more, then I think most other things will fall into place naturally. I KNOW you've got it in you to 'fix' this one. And, thanks for your comments regarding Store Clerk. It's fiction :)

LA