The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1493 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
10/24/08
This is really cute. I couldn't help but to think about my mother and her issues on the holidays. But that is what makes the holidays special.
It's true that the stresses of the holidays often cause us to forget what we are really celebrating. This was a fun story, and I enjoyed reading it. :)
What a wonderful reminder of how we can get so wrapped up with having everything go perfectly that we forget the true meaning of the season. The MC's voice was clear throughout. Nicely done
10/30/08
Great story! I love how she starts a new tradition rather than melting down about the old one. Only red ink I'd suggest is mentioning "her" by name in the first paragraph, and designating her son's words to him in the last couple lines. The pronouns can get confusing a little....not enough to not figure it out, but it would help a little. Nice work!
You go girl! Moving up! This was a great story, well done.
12/03/09
Carole, I'm going to feature this story in the Front Page Showcase for the week of December 21. Look for it on the FaithWriters home page, and congratulations!
12/05/09
Congratulations on your "front page" story selection, Carole. This is a delightful read, and I can certainly identify with the mom trying to have everything go just like a Norman Rockwell painting. Well done, friend!
12/05/09
Great job! I could sure identify with wanting perfection on a special occasion!
Great to just read this on the front page showcase Carole. Wonderful writing and a fantastc reminder to 'keep the main thing the main thing' this Christmas time. Have a joyful and blessed Christmas. Margaret
12/23/09
Don't we all want everything to run perfectly? :) I love how her husband lovingly points her back to the real reason for celebrating, and how you add a little humor to the mix. Great story!
02/25/10
The dialog flowed well and the frustration and resolve of your MC is felt by the reader. Nice job of fleshing out the stress the holidays can bring. Well done and congratulations.