The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1518 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
I really enjoyed this piece. Well done!
You took us down the primrose path with the "F" word didn't you! I felt real sympathy for your mc and the loss of her husband.
Great perspective!
I found myself reading with a very thoughtful nod. You have written an awesome heart-tug story that I will remember for some time.
08/10/08
I particularly appreciated your name choice for the wise friend/real estate agent. *grin*

Important message in this story. If we're still breathing, we still have purpose on this earth!
You have a gift for making the characters come to life in so few words. Very nice. :)
08/13/08
I don't know anything about playing Bridge, but I'll be thinking about this today. "In Duplicate Bridge everyone plays the same hands. It’s what you do with them that makes you a winner."
08/13/08
Good writing,, I liked where this took me.
This was very good. I enjoyed the character descriptions and how they came to life on the page.
08/13/08
Great title - and a wonderful story!Super job with characterization especially. Super.
From the title to the last word, this kept me reading. I felt Lana's irritation with Arlene and giggled at “I know—I grew up with her, remember?”. Great entry Lisa :)

08/13/08
Enjoyed this very much. I'll never use the "F" word again.
08/13/08
Great characters and dialogue...loved the "f" word thing, lol! Well done!
I think those places sound like fun! I love how you used the dialogue and descriptions to draw us right along with you. Great story!
Heehee! I like how this turned out. Very good. I loved the MC's thoughts to herself and the famous line of "Is that your mother?" lol-very fun! I especially like how the title fits this piece. Good job. ^_^
I HAD to read it because of the title! And it didn't disappoint me! It's a great story and you are a master of descriptive phrases. Kudos!
08/14/08
I really enjoyed this. Clever and crisp writing. God bless.
08/14/08
Great title and your last line is perfect.
08/14/08
Lovely, well-written story! The characters are very natural and you sure did paint a true picture of reluctant widowhood.
I really enjoyed this. The pace was good and kept me reading to the end. We should all eliminate the f word from our vocabulary, because life isn't, but it's what we do with it that makes all the difference. Well done.
***Congrats! Up to level 3 now, eh?*** ^_^
08/15/08
I don't blame the lady for not wanting to go into a retirement home. I wouldn't either...And I wouldn't join in the games. I've been in retirement homes. They are wonderful...But I don't want to go there. No way!..Congratulations on your win...Helen
Cute story! Congrats on the placement. :-) I, too, am learning that it's what I do with what I'm given that matters.
08/15/08
Congratulations! I really enjoyed this. The characters felt real and familiar, and I couldn't help caring about them.
I loved the title and the piece. It had an easy flow that took me to all of the right places. Good job!
08/18/08
Congratulations on your 2nd place. Your dialogue is very natural. I love the title, and the lesson. Great job with the topic.
08/20/08
Great narrative. I like your reference to the "F-word" as well. It's great, and probably should be added to the list of profanities (my opinion)lol. Thanks for the reminder.

Congratulations on moving to Lvl 3. That's awesome!
Excellent use of dialogue in telling a story with a good message. I liked the way you were able to flesh out the characters in so little words.