The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 831 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
06/13/05
It's sad how we often let anger fester inside. You described a very real emotion a person might toward his father for not being there for him when he was younger. The journal was a clever way to help him understand his father's heart. I wish you would have included an actual journal entry, to make it more personal and connect him to your reader a bit more. I found it slightly difficult to believe that if the father had an obvious relationship with God, it wouldn't be evident at all to his son during those years, resulting in him finding out in his journal. But in life, I guess anything is possible.:-) Great effort. Looking forward to reading more from you.
Blessings, Lynda
This is a really good concept. Do you think that, in the part when you were describing the contents of the journal, it may have been effective to "show" this by quoting some of the actual phrases from it? Just a thought...
06/15/05
A nice story of how we don't always know people as well as we think we do -and healing is always possible!
A captivating story, that left me asking a few questions: Why was the 1982 calendar dedicated in 1984? Did he count the 300+ entries or is that a statement by the omniscient writer? The inscription was grammatically odd; was that intentional? Starting a sentence with "And" can be permissible in certain contexts; was that intentional? Once again, very enjoyable. Write on!