The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1102 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/17/08
wow, what a powerful letter of love and courage from this young soldier, makes be believe that you are the one the letter was given to, and if not you sure drove home the meaning of love and sacrifice. Tears are coursing down my face as I write this. Fabulous Job. God Bless
04/17/08
Absolutely beautiful. I pray many soldier's orphans read this and are encouraged.
04/18/08
A very sweet and timely message that will be especially meaningful to anyone who knows a soldier.

My only comment: Try to add something that will make your "letter from war" different from any that's been done before--to make yours more memorable. Beware of cliches!

A child would be very blessed to receive a letter like this.
04/20/08
A beautiful letter for a daughter. Soldiers are near and dear to my heart...
04/21/08
Gorgeous. Sweet. Melancholy. Well done.
04/21/08
This is a wonderful writing technique in that you wrote for an audience of one and captured the entire patriotic free world. I agree with Jan, though. Beware of cliches. Just replacing worn out phrases would make this already powerful piece totally unforgetable.
Beautiful heart of an outstanding father revealed in his letter to his daughter. The thought crossed my mind of writing about a soldier father, but now I'm glad I didn't. It wouldn't have been this good, and this story needed to be told with the excellence in which you framed it. Beautiful message and writing.
What a sad and yet beautiful story. I had tears in my eyes as I read it. I really think that writing it as a letter was the perfect format for this particular story.

Thank you for sharing. :)
04/23/08
Tracy, this was beautiful. If every child who has lost a father in the war could have a special letter like this, it would be a priceless treasure.
04/23/08
This was a tender and beautiful letter.
So beautiful! I can't think of what to say that will sum it up more than that. It hit close to home with the tender, heartfelt voice and the fatherly advice. I loved it-hands down. Awesome writing. ^_^
04/24/08
This is a very nice piece and so very timely. Great job!
Beautifully written story. I couldn't stop the tears. You did an excellent job of grabbing my heart.

As the mom of a son and daughter-in-law who both served in Iraq, I commend you for your heartfelt entry. Well done!
04/24/08
Congrats on your win...see you up in advanced!
04/24/08
Congratulations on your 3rd place. This is very touching, and written very well. Nice job.